Regional Cadet Programs

Hey guys,

I was having talking to a few of my friends in our aviation program and one of them said that he was going to interview for more than 1 cadet program and if offered the “position” he would accept all of the offers. I told him that they might not like that. He just kinda blew it off. So, from anyone’s experience, would belonging to more than one airline’s cadet program be frowned upon? I think so, but again, I’m no one in this industry. Thanks for the time.

Yuran

Yuran,

Interviewing at multiple carriers is fine but accepting multiple offers is not. I’m not that familiar with the steps involved but I’m reasonably certain that along with the offer of conditional employment you’re required to sign something saying that you’re committing to ONE single program. Particularly if you’re looking for Tuition Reimbursement, so I doubt that’s going to happen. Also this is a very small industry and burning bridges (especially early in your career) can be suicidal. That aside there’s something called ethics and the FAA language for an ATP rating states the applicant must be of “good moral character”. Fraud definitely doesn’t demonstrate that now does it. Doubt anyone would go through the effort BUT if were a recruiter with some time on my hands and he pulled that stunt I contact the FAA to block his license and see if he blows that off too :slight_smile:

Adam

3 Likes

Adam,

I can always look to you for a good chuckle :joy: I told him that he should probably weigh out his options, but it is what it is. Thank you for the speedy reply.

Yuran

To this point. From reading, I understand that you will interview at some point while instructing. While any ambitious instructor would want to interview with as many regionals as possible I imagine many have a preference for one reason or another. Are the interviews all at the same time, more or less, for each instructor or are they more spaced out? What would an instructor, future regional fo do if they are offered a conditional offer from one while waiting for an airline they are more interested in?

As I said, nothing wrong with interviewing with every and all. The question is do you accept? If you’re waiting for someone else or to see whatelse is out there I’d simply say I’m weighing my options, doing research and I’ll let you know.

Adam

Yuran,

That sounds like a recipe for disaster. There are contracts involved in these programs. Signing up for multiple cadet programs is a quick way to gain a bad reputation.

And possibly lose all hope of getting a job at all.

@Tory Personally, I don’t get to interview for a cadet program for another 7 months, but I don’t think that accepting more than one offer is a good idea.

Does anyone know how long you have until you have to give them an answer on the conditional job offer? Additionally, can a cadet back out of a cadet program and go to another airline? I don’t think it’ll apply to me, but definitely doesn’t hurt to ask and have always wondered how things go with these cadet programs.

Yuran

Yuran,

The terms are listed in each airline’s contract. At Horizon, I can’t remember how many days I had to accept. I want to say 30? I accepted the offer on the spot so I didn’t pay close attention to the specific number. I also agreed to commit 1yr to them. It has been 3mo so far. If for some reason I can’t fulfill my 1yr agreement, I have to give ALL of the tuition reimbursement money back. :flushed::money_with_wings::money_with_wings::money_with_wings:

Not every cadet program has money involved, but you get the idea.

Tory,

I do! Thanks again, man! I appreciate the reply!

Yuran

1 Like

Did you interview with multiple airlines? If so, what made you choose horizon? Sorry if you already addressed this somewhere and I missed it.

@Tucker I chose Horizon because of their values, location and reputation.

2 Likes

Adam,

Thank you for the input. It sounds like you should be able to have enough time to speak to all the ones you’re interested in and get an idea before choosing. I’d just hate to see a situation where I choose a second choice and then the first comes through. Admittedly though, I am getting ahead of myself.

Carl

Maybe just a little :slight_smile:

Adam