Regionals trying to change ATP regulations

Not sure if this has been discussed here already, but I’m sure everyone got word of it.

How likely do you guys think this might happen? And if it does, would it affect regional salaries?

If I were a betting man, I would assume it would lower wages. More supply due to lower hour requirements equals lesser wages for those hired. It could raise CFI wages though if all of them get hired due to lower requirements.

Ben

1 Like

The airlines have been fighting the 1500hr Rule since it’s inception and no one has made a dent. The fact is there hasn’t been a major crash or incident since it was inacted. The public likes it and the unions support it. It’s not going anywhere.

Adam

Marwan,

I sure hope it does not happen. Having watched this from the inside out, I can assure you that the quality of pilots has dramatically increased since the implementation of the 1,500 hour rule. This has also driven the dramatic increase in regional pilot pay that we have seen since this billows passed.

What Congressperson in their right mind would vote to change a rule that has led to a spotless US airline track record since it was implemented? I just do not see this happening and I hope I do not see it change.

Chris

Marwan,

For decades, the aviation industry has been trying to find new and better ways to avoid aircraft accidents. The 1500 rule was a result of the Colgan Air accident in 2009. The industry has also implemented new concepts and programs like Crew Resource Management, Threat and Error Management, ASAP, FOQA, LOSA, and others. Since 2009, there has not been a single major accident as a result of these programs. Pilot shortage or not, I don’t think the 1500 hour rule will be reduced.

Tory

I do agree that safety should never be a matter of compromise, for whatever reason. And I hope that it doesn’t crumble under the big money pressure like everything now.

I watched a documentary about the buffalo accident and the casualties were just heart breaking. But the thing that wooed me the most is learning that the copilot of the flight, who apparently had more than 1500 hrs under her belt, was paid 16k a year. That’s beyond horrible even by 2009 standards.

Marwan

Marwan,
I think we’re only going to see more conversation on this as airline CEO’s push harder and harder. I too hope the rule is never reduced. I think there are a lot of other ways to encourage people to pursue an aviation career. First, they could start by lowering the barriers that prevent people from ever starting flight training like better access to funds in the form of federal loans or more substantial grants, higher CFI pay, etc.
-Hannah

4 Likes

We heard of airline executives pressuring the CDC to lower the COVID-19 quarantine period down from 10 days. And it happened (whether or not it was directly from that pressure, we’ll never know). Kind of scary thinking of the influence they could have on our government.

I agree with @Chris though, I think there would be a lot of backlash once the public begins to understand the consequences that lowering the 1500 rule could have.

Ben

1 Like

100% agree Hannah. The amount of money, training and certification that a person had to go through now to be a pilot is still not comparible to current regional pay, and that’s after all these laws and regulations.

Marwan

1 Like

Unfortunately, That’s how the country is run now Ben. Money always talks, and if it can’t right away, it takes some time. The classic excuse is always the economy.

Marwan