Republic Airlines seeks exemption from 1,500h pilot rule to alleviate shortage

This probably won’t go anywhere but I figured I’d share it anyway.

SkyWest also mentioned this during an earnings call Q&A session recently.

IMO the industry needs to be careful during these times of Growth/Profits vs Safety/Rules.
It’s ok to expand hiring pool to a certain extent, but there is a line where you start adding more risk. Same can be said with pressure put on training departments being overloaded with students to fill all the vacancies.

Just because we haven’t had a major incident with fatalities at a US airline in over a decade (knocks on wood), doesn’t make us invincible today.

FARs are written in blood. We must be judicious when considering relaxing these rules / standards. Companies, Pilots & Mechanics must maintain a high level of professionalism and proficiency to maintain a safe industry.

Chris F

I sure hope that the 1,500 hour rule does not go anywhere. Since this rule was implemented, we have not had a fatal crash in the US. In addition to this, pilot salaries (particularly at the regionals) have gone up dramatically in large part because of the 1,500 hour rule. If the airlines want to attack more pilots, they can do so by paying increasingly better wages, not relaxing a rule that has clearly led to an increase in safety.

Chris

Outcome based thinking is always a problem, as is the balance of “protection vs production”.

Most people are familar with the Challenger disaster and the failed O-rings. The concern and issues with the O-rings actually showed up in the 70s and were initially considered a “no go” item. Problem was there were failures in the past so the engineers decided to move the bar and conclude since no one had died (yet), it was ok. Clearly it wasn’t.

The FAA implemented a rule that has been incredibly effective in raising the level of safety. For anyone to argue “we haven’t had a crash so let’s go back” is ridiculous.

Now if they want to talk about raising the age to 67 that’s a different conversation (as I get closer and closer to 65) :wink:

Adam

1 Like

“Alleviate the pilot shortage” at what cost?

I think we are all in agreement here. More experience is better than less. Having more qualified candidates keeps pay reasonable. I think to retract any requirement now would be a step back in many ways. I too hope this doesn’t happen.

Hannah

1 Like

Adam

3 Likes

You can always count on Sully to set people straight. He seems like a very decent person with nothing but good intentions to me.

3 Likes

The reporter who reached out to him for a comment is a genius. What a way to get the general public behind the FAA like using the beloved hero on the Hudson. He is probably America’s favorite airline pilot.

Hannah

I thought I was? :wink:

Adam

5 Likes

It was a good thing Sully was flying out of LGA and not EWR. “Miracle on the Passaic” just does not have the same ring to it.

Chris

5 Likes