Reserve Time

Hey!
When your scheduled for long/short reserve time do you get paid for that?

Thank you, Androu

Androu,

Yes. Each airline contract is different, but a reserve pilot will be paid a minimum monthly guarantee.

Tory

1 Like

What do you mean by a minimum monthly guarantee?

Pilots get paid by the hour. If let’s say a minimum monthly reserve guarantee is 80 credits, multiply 80 credits by the hourly rate and that’s about what one could expect to get paid monthly.

If a pilot gets assigned any trips while on reserve then a pilot’s monthly pay could change but for simplicity purposes just know that a pilot will be paid a minimum amount based on their hourly rate either way.

Tory

Is the reserve pay the same as if your actually scheduled to fly? For example if my schedule has me scheduled to fly 78 hours this month and being on reserve for 80 hours and I make $150 a hour for flying I also get $150 a hour for just being on reserve??

Again, it depends on the airline. But remember when you fly, you get paid per diem as well. So, a line pilot typically makes more.

Tory

Androu,

To be clear on this, let’s say reserve is 73 hours, but you fly 80, you get paid for 80 hours, not 153 hours total.

Chris

1 Like

Androu,
The pay rate is the same either way whether it’s reserve hours or line flying hours. The difference is really the amount of hours and per diem per hour away from your base.

For example:
If you don’t fly a single hour all month, you’ll still get paid the minimum reserve hours (about 75 hrs) and no per diem because you never left base.
If you fly 40 hours actual, you’ll still get paid for the minimum reserve hours and for the time away from base accrued from that 40 hours of flying. If you fly over the minimum, say 80 hours, then you get paid 80 instead of 75 plus the per diem.

Hope this helps!

-Hannah

1 Like