Retiring Army want a new career

So I will be retiring from the Army in 3 short years. I have zero flight training as I’m a tanker in the army. I have dreamed of flying since I was a child. (although then I thought I would be Maverick) I have realized and decided that this is the life I have been wanting.

I have begun studying faa manuals and looking into programs. I have a private pilot center at a local airport close to me and an ATP center about an hour away. Being active duty I obviously can’t persue the ATP enrollment full time yet. I have decided to go through the private flight training at my local airport and try to get as many hours as possible till retirement. Also trying to use my benefits to help pay as well.

Does anyone have advice on the best way to go about this? I haven’t had a goal like this in so long and there’s no way I will not accomplish this. I just want to make sure I am doing the absolute most that I can. I wont sit around waiting till retirement to get started. Any and all advice is welcome and greatly appreciated! Thanks!

James,

Given your situation, I like your plan. I would get the private and then stop there until you are ready to really dedicate yourself full time to training. I think you will find that a lot of smaller flight schools are decent at helping people get their private licenses, but struggle with the more advanced ratings.

Out of curiosity, do you have a college degree?

Chris

Thanks, and I’m 2 classes away from an AA. Ive been holding off on going into a bachelors program because I wasn’t positive I would want to dedicate the time to it. Now I know at least what I want to dedicate my time to.

James,

You will need to have a bachelor’s degree to apply for the major airlines. You might want to consider using your GI benefits towards that goal.

Chris