Sacramento, CA - May 2019

Hi all,

I will be starting from zero time in May. I am really excited for the next chapter in life. I know it’s going to be a tough couple of years but know it’s going to worth it in the long run.

Little bit about me:

I am 33 years old and have a 9 month old daughter. My wife wanted to be a stay at home mom but living in the San Francisco Bay area did not allow it. I have been in biotech for the past 7 years and was laid off. I was making decent money but realized that my potential for growth was slim because I don’t have a doctorate.

I was going to need more education to continue in biotech but decided that it wasn’t what I wanted anymore so instead, I am pursuing a career as a pilot.

We have been saving up for a down payment for a house but home prices have skyrocketed in the last few years so it has been and will continue to be out of reach if we both stayed in our current careers. So instead, my wife is quitting her job to pursue to dream job of “mom” and we are moving to Sacramento were my wife’s family lives.

This was a very hard decision but we feel great about it. I just wish that I did this 10 years ago. Better late than never I suppose.

Thanks all for reading. I appreciate any advice you guys can give.

Best,
David

David what location are you starting in May? I am starting in May 20 at the Morristown Location in New Jersey

Ankel,

Please take a look at the title of this thread.

Adam

Lol im so silly, should have done that -_- I honestly just get very interested and curious as to what the next unread thread includes and what answers i may find that i literally get tunnel vision focusing on what the body and responses say…

David,

Thanks for the introduction. I am not going to lie, having a small child will make this tough, but buckle down and you will make it.

Chris

David,

Best of luck to you. Would love to hear about your experiences with the examiners out there. I’m mostly familiar with Savage, but I put my students up with all of them.

Tory

I’m planning on starting in Sac this October. I look forward to meeting you and progressing through this program. I am also in the midst of a major career change with a 7 month old. Should be fun :slight_smile:

Rick

Rick,

Great location. Just recently remodeled. Small training center. Ideal for training. Class D airport with ample training areas.

Tory

That airport gets busy on weekends! Flew up there for a short XC instrument lesson last weekend and after doing the circle got cleared into the pattern at #5 and had to fly a realllllllly long downwind leg.

Tristan,

That’s pretty common at SAC and pretty much every class D airport on the weekend. You think that’s busy? Try flying in and out of HWD. Class D under OAK’s class C, under SFO’s class B. Two parallel runways, one at 850’ TPA, other at 650’ TPA. FedEx and Southwest 1000’ above you on downwind. GA traffic everywhere. There’s a reason ATP moved that training center to LVK.

Tory