Safety in Regards to Evacuation Procedures

Im sure everyone’s heard about the accident in Russia with the Sukhoi Jet. There’s been an emphasis on the passengers taking their luggage after an evacuation has been ordered and how it can most definitely expedite the process or better yet not delay others from even making it out of the aircraft in the first place. The level of importance of this practice has always been around however I feel that passengers aren’t properly being briefed in the importance of leaving the luggage behind. Instead, from what I remember in the safety videos prior to departure the focus is on how to put oxygen masks, locate exit doors, fasten your seat belt and the life vest. What does everyone else think? I think maybe adding a couple seconds to the video and demonstration would certainly help.

1 Like

I completely agree with you @Rodriguez15. A lot of people don’t understand basic safety procedures, even though it seems like it should be common sense. It’s also unfortunate that a lot of passengers don’t even understand the policy as to why the seats need to be in the upright position and why tray tables must be stowed prior to takeoff and landing. I sat next to a passenger who said “why do we need to put the tables and seats up for the flight attendants? Aren’t they paid to clean up after us?”.

1 Like

Wow really? That’s just plain ignorant I can’t believe someone would actually say that… it’s just not fair for others

Ankel,

Not picking on you but “what you remember” is clearly not everything. I invite you to go to YouTube and watch ANY airline safety video. EVERY video instructs the pax to LEAVE ALL CARRY-ON ITEMS BEHIND, DO NOT TAKE ANY CARRY-ON ITEMS, etc. Pax simply do not listen or pay attention and the thought that they may actually find themselves in an emergency evac situation is completely foreign to most. A few years ago I was deadheading in First Class and a pax across from me had a prosthetic leg. As soon as he stowed his bag he also removed and stowed his leg. I don’t want to offend anyone but all I kept thinking was if this plane aborts on the takeoff roll (which is where half the emergencies occur) how the heck is this guy going to evacuate? I don’t even take off my shoes till we’re above 10,000’.

The safety info is vitally important but the reality most people are texting or taking selfies. When they need that info they’re hoping the crew will save their butts WHILE they’re grabbing THEIR stuff because after all it’s all about ME.

Adam

5 Likes

Right Adam, no worries. I fly once like every 2 years so imagine. Though not anymore I guess since im starting ATP. I just feel it’s awareness should be increased but like you said yea not many pay attention to the safety briefings.

Definitely stand behind all of Adam’s points. This begs a bigger question of compliance. Not only a willingness to actually pay attention during the brief, but to listen to ANY of the flight attendant’s instructions. They can’t see a reason why airplane mode would affect anything, so they ignore it. They can’t see how leaving a seat reclined matters, so they ignore it. It’s a devastating mentality - as seen from Sukhoi.

I have actually done a full evacuation at my previous airline due to a mechanical issue, and every single one of the passengers left their belongings on the airplane. Now whether it was the fact that we had time to prepare, or that we had ridiculously experienced flight attendants - I can’t tell you. But we were fortunate that they paid attention.

1 Like

I agree with Adam and Jordan. I have flown SWA numerous times a year for the last 15yrs and they explain how to use a masks if they drop every single time BUT…

Adam is spot on. I was just 4 different flights in the last 3 days, and the message could not be any more clear. The safety videos clearly stated in the event of an emergency evacuation, leave all personal items behind and proceed to the nearest emergency exit…in the event of electrical failure, lights will illuminate to light the way to the nearest exit…and please remember, the nearest exit may be behind you.

As Adam mentions, the problem is nobody pays attention to the briefings, everyone’s head is either buried in an iPad/tablet/smartphone, or have headphones on (often before boarding is even finished), and do not pay attention to the safety videos.

Some may disagree or not like my response, but, as much as the crew are trained and I truly believe would do anything they can in an emergency to save as many people as possible, it’s not ultimately their responsibility. It’s their responsibility to give you the necessary information to make an informed decision to position yourself to be have the ] best possibility of surviving; what you choose to do with that information is up to you. Ignore it, and you greatly increase your risks.

The issue is, nobody is willing to take responsibility for themselves and their own safety, which is to their demise. I certainly would not want to see anyone injured or worse during an emergency, but you have to take responsibility for your own safety. I’m a big proponent of the notion “you reap what you sow” in life, and if you choose to ignore the safety information presented, you choose to risk your own life.

1 Like