Schooling help

Hello,
Iv read over and over on the forum about online associates and/or in-class aviation degrees. What are exactly are you accomplishing with these degrees? Are you supposed to be flying at your local airport as you progress through the online degree?

Tanner,

I recommend you visit the FAQ section as we discuss these things but the short answer is no. When we talk about online degrees it’s usually directed at people who have completed their flight training, are now flying for a Regional airline and want to get on with a Major. We generally recommend people get their degrees (in-class) and finish their educations first and then begin their flight training but for people who may be older and are currently working this may be a better option. Regardless we generally don’t recommend school while you’re flight training or training at your local flight school.

Adam

Adam,
This is what I’m confused about. Wouldn’t my flight training be apart of my schooling? Wouldn’t I have to be enrolled into a college or ATP to do my flight training?

Tanner,

There are many routes to a career in aviation (again why I recommended you visit our FAQ section: https://airlinepilot.life/t/how-do-i-become-an-airline-pilot/10891). You could go to an aviation university, you could train locally or you can train in an accelerated training program (like ATP) geared towards airline training. There are pro’s and con’s to the different paths.

Regardless of which you choose, airline training involves a tremendous amount of self-study. The airlines will provide the materials but you have to find the answers. Again I suggest you do some further reading.

Adam