Schools

Dose it matter to a airline what flight school you go to? or Collage?
For example I hear ATP is number one in the nation for its flight school… Dose it matter if i went to a different pilot school??

Douglas,

No it doesn’t matter much these days where you train but it SHOULD matter to you. Wouldn’t you want to go to the best school you could to receive the highest level of instruction to help you become the best pilot you can be?

There’s a reason why ATP is considered one of the best schools in the country and it’s not because they have me as a mentor :wink:

Adam

Douglas,

Yes and no. On one hand, we all take the same FAA checkrides no matter what school you go to, so the certifications are exactly the same. What matters to the airlines, particularly the regionals, is that they know that ATP students are well versed in airline style pilot training because that is exactly how ATP trains students, versus somebody who goes to the mom and pop school, has the same ratings, but not the same airline-style of education.

Chris

Thanks guys. I agree Adams why not go to the best school…Who knows maybe I will become a better mentor :joy: jk jk …

Chris,
I understand that was what I was wondering about… I really want to go to ATP and do everything at one time, but its so expensive and I wont be able to find a Co-signer. But I am building my credit back but that will take forever… I am 26 and still young rather start now then later…

Douglas,

The same way $499mo sounds better than $50k when you’re looking at new cars, $180hr sounds better than $70k when it comes to flight instruction. Thing is flying (like new cars) isn’t cheap and the it’s going to cost you a significant amount of money. Now you may be thinking I’ll just do this at my own pace based on my funds but it’s been proven that will actually cost you much more time and money in the end. Just something to think about.

Adam

Adam,

i understand completely that’s why I am doing everything I can to find a way to get the money together now rather then later… Even regional I believe I came across something that they make really good money. I could make more doing it now and paying back rather then waiting forever. what is the average for sure for regional??

Also how dose the ladder work as far as starting out then becoming a capt??

Adam and Chris,

You guys have been a big help thank you so much for all your information.

Douglas,

If you’re talking about pay in the FAQs there are posts regarding pay. As for upgrade like everything at the Regionals it’s a matter of building seniority. That can mean 2-5 yes at a Regional.

Adam

Adam,

Thanks