Should I do it?

Hello all,

I am 37 years old and I currently work in the hospitality industry as a resort manager.
I always wanted to be a pilot, but life brought me to a diferent path.
I finally have the time, kids are older, to pursue my dream. My question is should I do it?
I do not believe I am too old to start this career. Not sure if it matters, but I hold 2 bachelor’s in arts and one master’s in hospitality management.

I plan on getting my PPL in the next few months (local school) and after that I was looking into ATP. In order to complete the program I would have to quit my job and dedicate myself full time, from what I saw it would be between 5-7 months.

My wife is very supportive and will hold the household financially, but how long would it take for me to get on my feet and how much should I expect to earn after ATP?

3-5 years after that? How much can someone in this line of work make?

Money is not everything, but it’s definitely a necessity, from what I see a first officer makes a good living, a captain makes even more.

Thank you
Addy

Addy,

What should I eat for lunch tomorrow? I also need a new car, which should I buy? I could go on but I think you get my point. We have no idea who you are, what your finances are like, how dedicated you are, if you have any pilot skills etc etc etc.

I would never be so arrogant as to tell anyone (except maybe my kids or my FO) what they should or should not do. What I can tell you is there literally has never been a better time to get into this career. Salaries are literally 5 times what they were when I started (starting pay is $90k), there are signing bonuses that will more then cover the cost of training almost immediately (over $100k) and unless you have a lot of checkride busts or a bad criminal record, if you earn the licenses and ratings and build the required time you will get hired. In fact you’ll have airlines fighting over you. It will require some sacrifice but the rewards are great.

Should you do it? I have no clue but if I were you I’d be asking myself why shouldn’t I do it?

Adam

1 Like

Addy,

The only reason I would recommend getting the Private Pilot certificate outside of ATP is if you’re uncertain about the career. You’re not too old to start the career, in fact there are many others who start later than you. I wouldn’t put off training any further if this is something you seriously want to do, especially if you have the support of your partner and there is not much holding you back. As you mentioned, the program is 5 months (Credit Private) and 7 months (Zero Time), there is only two programs - you will have to dedicate 100% of commitment while attending ATP.

Every year that goes by, that’s a year of seniority and a better chance at quality of life or pay depending on how you look at the spectrum. As Adam mentioned, the pay right now is ridiculously surreal. I am making almost 3x the money I was when I was working behind a desk in a bank - never did I think I would leave one job to making the pay I am now and able to live comfortably at my age. Airlines are fighting over new hires; I’ve watched my seniority number jump almost 70 spots in just a month at my company…and by prediction I don’t see pilot hiring slowing down anytime soon.

One thing you did not mention was if you have ever taken an introductory flight. Not only is this a requirement to attend a flight school, but it is an opportunity for you to explore the school and get firsthand experience what it’s like to take control of a plane. ATP has 76 locations; I recommend you adding in a training center tour and flight with ATP on your list. Again, I would consider PPL outside of ATP if you are unsure of the career, otherwise, ATP is your one-stop shop for your flight training needs.

https://atpflightschool.com/programs/admissions-flight.htm

After completing ATP’s program and in good standing, you could receive a job offer to teach at a location. Or you could do various of other flight gigs like banner towing, aerial photography, pipeline, etc.; however, flight instructing is the most common way to build time towards the 1,500-hour ATP minimum.

Brady