Should I start a Pilot School with an article 15 in my military record?

Please no judgements. I am currently and active duty Air Force officer looking to get out of the service in the next year or so. I do have an Article 15 in my record, and I was curious if anyone knew anything about if airlines automatically look away from those with those with that paperwork on their military records. I’m trying to decide if I should start a flight school to work towards becoming an airline pilot. Thank you

Caitlin,

We will need more information than that. As with most things, it will depend on the nature and severity of the offense.

Chris

Caitlin,

As Chris said it depends. That said if it was alcohol or drug related it’s slightly worse than having a DUI and your first issue might be getting a First Class Medical. Beyond that it becomes a matter of behaving well moving forward and putting time between you and the offence.

If you’re asking of it’s an intermediate disqualifier probably not but anything else and your done.

Adam

Unfortunately, it was for a DUI. But the DUI does not reflect on my civilian record at all.

FAA Medical Application Question:
Item 18. Medical History
v. History of Arrest(s), Conviction(s) and/or Administrative Action(s)
If yes is checked, the applicant must describe the arrest(s), conviction(s), and/or administrative action(s) in the EXPLANATIONS box. The description must include: The alcohol or drug offense for which the applicant was arrested, convicted, or the type of administrative action involved (e.g., attendance at an educational or rehabilitation program in lieu of conviction; license denial, suspension, cancellation, or revocation for refusal to be tested; educational safe driving program for multiple speeding convictions; etc.)

Thinking an Article 15 would qualify as an “administrative action”.

Adam

Caitlin,

You will have to own up to the DUI, but from what I understand, that is no longer a disqualifying factor for the airlines. I would encourage you to call the recruiting departments of several regional airlines and ask them.

Chris

Thank you for the responses. I will make some calls!