Real Answers from Real Pilots

Should I start training

I have always had a dream of being an airline pilot for a legacy Carrier. I have finally saved up a month enough money to actually start Is my training. Unfortunately, I do have a few concerns that might disqualify me from flying so I wanted to know from professional pilots if I should even pursue it. I have no criminal record And I’m in relatively good health. My issue though is that I am 33 years old almost 34 about to start my primary training and it will take me 2 years to build up my hours to work for a regional. My 2nd concern is that when I was 31 I was doing ride shares to make extra money and I got in 3 accidents that year very minor Fender Bender’s butt none the less I was at fault and I was worried that having 3 accidents in one year would disqualify me Because they would think I have a bad driving record. If so I wanted to ask professional pilots if they think this would bar me from ever making it to the legacy carriers.

Martir,

Your first concern is really nothing. Actually the average age when most pilots start is 33 so you’re right there.

Second while your driving record is of some concern. As long as you make an effort to improve things and have no further problems your should be fine. The airlines are actually more concerned with violations as that demonstrates a disregard for the law.

Adam

The only thing I have on my record other than accidents are scattered speeding tickets spanning 10 years. in the past 5 years, my only violation was a single speeding ticket. no DUI, no reckless driving. literally nothing else. Do you really think ill be ok?

Martir,

There are no guarantees but you should be fine. If you’re genuinely concerned you should reach out to some Regionals and ask.

I’d also knock off the speeding. The more distance between when you interview and the last ticket the better.

Adam

Martir,

I do not see your age as being of any concern at all. Plenty of pilots start around the age you are, some much older. Now your career prospects will not be as good as the pilot who starts at age 20, but you could still have a long and rewarding career ahead of you.

I would not worry about the accidents. As long as you do not have several tickets, a DUI, reckless driving, etc, I think you will be fine. Of course you should try to avoid future accidents, but we all should do that.

Chris

And yes, you need to slow down. There is really no excuse for “scattered speeding tickets”. Follow the law, slow down and do not get any more tickets.

My last ticket was going 4 miles over the speed limit when going cross country. Cops tend to pull people over in other states because they can meet the quota without the fear of you contesting it. Other the that i have had no tickets in over 10 years

Martir,

“My last ticket was going 4 miles over the speed limit”

While your record doesn’t concern me, your comment above does greatly. Airline pilots are professionals and professionals don’t make excuses. If you were asked about this on your interview and that was your answer your interview would be over. If you were 4mph over the speed limit you exceeded it. Period and end of story. Particularly if by your own admission you have had others. Further pilots are required to maintain tight tolerances during training. Exceed a speed, altitude or heading by too much (which isn’t much) and you bust.

If you’re serious about a career in aviation you need to accept responsibility for your actions. If you don’t then I need to change my answer and no you will not be ok.

Adam

1 Like

Exactly the honesty potential pilots need to hear. Great advice

1 Like