Sick parent and time off from school

During the 9 months, is it possible to take extended days off (3-4 days at a time over weekends) somewhat frequently?

I would like to visit my dad and stay with him from time to time if his situation gets worse. Mostly Thursday-Sunday, but this would be at least 2 weekends a month.

Gunnar,

While you’d have to speak with admissions I don’t see that happening. The key word in your post is “frequently”. While the program has does have weekends off (which are really for studying and catching up), increasing the time off from 2 days a week to 4 only leaves 3 in a week for training. Aside from the extremely accelerated nature of the training there’s also a need for flexibility due to checkrides, weather, etc. You also have to consider the fact that during the training you’ll be away from your base location for CFI training (2-3 weeks) and for the cross-country phase which is another few weeks.

Aside from just the time away from training (and even if admin allows it) I would caution against this plan. ATPs program compresses years of training into months and you will NEED those days including the days off for study. While I understand and appreciate your desire to take care of your dad (sincerely), you really need to be able to commit to the program to be successful. Perhaps now is not the best time.

Adam

1 Like

Gunnar,

Adam said it nicely at the end. Perhaps now is not the best time. I hate to make you choose between one or the other, but sometimes life can derail us from our plans. I don’t know the details of your situation, but this is not something any of the mentors have any leverage on. Flight Ops might be able to accommodate you once, but not regularly. I think you’ll have a good idea of what you need to do based on the response you receive from Flight Ops.

Tory

I really appreciate the insight. This was really a decision between moving to a location that is 3-4 hours away from my dad compared to another location with better weather several states away. So this information from you guys really helped.

I believe I will be moving to a location closer to my parents and utilizing more free weekends so I can dedicate my time to the flight training without sacrificing too much.

Thank you guys.

No problem, Gunnar.

Tory