Signed up!

Summary

This text will be hidden

1 Like

Daniel,

Thanks for the introduction and congratulations on signing up!

I feel that your primary focus should be on completing as many written exams as possible prior to your start date. This will give you a huge leg up in the program, thus allowing you to focus on other areas of your training. Beyond that, I would start working on ATP’s training modules.

For reviewing the private material, I find the ASA Private Pilot Oral Exam Guide to be a fantastic resource. You can easily find this on Amazon or eBay.

As to making it to Captain at a major, none of us have crystal balls, but look at Captain Adam for the answer to your question :slight_smile: yes, I think Captain at a major is possible for you, but move quickly if that is your goal.

Good luck in the program, please update us as you go through the program.

Chris

1 Like

Daniel,

Congrats! As Chris said best thing you can do is complete the writtens. There’s a ton of overlapping knowledge that will knock some of the rust off. As for making Capt well I did. Now if I had went to United or Delta vs Hawaiian would I have? Maybe. The good news is things are so good right now in this industry anything is possible. Best advice is take it as it comes and enjoy the journey.

Adam

Daniel,

Study for the written exams for sure. To polish you PP knowledge, I was
going to suggest finding a CFI that’s willing to give you a refresher
course. It doesn’t have to be a full BFR, but if you want to do a BFR
that’s great. You mentioned that you’ll be studying overseas though. Your
resources may be limited. If so, I like Chris’ suggestion. I would pair the
Oral Exam Guide with the Airman Certification Standards (formerly known as
the Practical Tests Standards). A PDF version of the ACS, along with all of
the other major aviation publications can be downloaded from www.faa.gov.

Tory

Tory, Chris & Adam,

Thank you for the replies. I will take that information and run with it. I wanted to mention if any of you have heard that the 40 hour course had been upped to 50? I was just told it was. Is 50 a minimum at most or some regionals or do they require 100 or more? And do you happen to know the reason why they upped it? Yes, Captain is a main goal, I hope to line myself up right to one day get there at a Major. Any thoughts for down the road to consider to do just that?

Daniel,

The reason for the change is simply that even after 30+yrs ATP is ALWAYS trying to improve the program. By increasing the ME time ATP is able to a) assure all students leave with 50hrs which satisfies the min requirements of most Regionals AND b) they’re now able to eliminate one of the checkrides (PPL Multi Instr) saving students money and the risk of 1 more bust.

As for making Capt being your main goal, I feel fairly confident that’s EVERY pilot’s main goal. At this stage frankly there is no “down the road”. You’re talking step 87 and you’re at step 3. Work and study hard, complete all your training with few or no busts, be a team player, be affable to EVERYONE you meet and in time you’ll see where you end up.

Adam

Summary

This text will be hidden

Daniel,

D) All of the above :slight_smile:

@Adam @Chris what’s the best way to get approved for the loan? Half now half later? Etc

Dakota,

You would really need to talk to the admissions department on this one, we just fly the airplanes :slight_smile:

Chris