So, I know there is already a guide out there for those who want to complete the writtens early.
I would just like to chime in on my experience, as I just finished my last written a few mins ago. For Sheppard, I would recommend the iPad since it is more mobile and comfortable studying (You can ONLY activate it on either the PC or iPad, not both). You don’t want to ruin your posture and break your back sitting at the computer for hours on end studying 3,600 questions!
1) Private Pilot (PAR) - Endorsement Required
This one also took the longest for me to prepare. I used King School PPL course (which is already provided free to you after you pay your deposit at ATP).
- Kings Course. Just do it. Period. It works, and with John and Martha, you will learn a LOT. They make it so easy and so fun to learn. I watched their 15+hours of videos over the span of 3 weeks, with weekends off. What I did (which is maybe a bit of overkill) was use a pen and paper and write along what I thought was most important. By the end of the course, I had written 30 pages worth of material. This writing really helps out, because it makes the material “stapled” to your brain, in conjunction with the short questions they give after each mini-lesson… it really helps. Just write, and write, and write, and write!
- Gleim Private Pilot FAA Knowledge Test prep book. After you finish the whole Kings School course, buy this book, and dont worry about the material in it, because you’ve already learned it visually though Kings Schools. What you want to focus on are the questions in the end after every chapter. Starting with the first ever question page, just read each question and its ANSWER ONLY a few times, and keep going until you reach the end. I really vouch for this book, because there were some questions here that I did not see in Kings, and was on the written. This is really just a supplement for kings. Kings will teach you 80% of the questions, and Gleim will teach you the other 20%. Endorsement is provided by Kings school automatically once you complete the course and score 90%+ three times in their practice test.
Question Bank: 700+
2) Instrument (IRA) - Endorsement Required
From here on out, you will just need to use Sheppard. Thats all. Nothing else. You only use Kings+Gleim book for the PAR, and every exam after that, it’s Sheppard. FOLLOW THE SHEPPARD STUDY STRATEGY TO THE T. WARNING: IF YOU DONT FOLLOW IT TO THE T, YOU ARE BOUND TO FAIL. JUST FOLLOW IT, IT WORKS This was the most brutal exam I’ve studied for. You really have to be full of motivation to get through this. It is (1,200?) questions to memorize. There is a 400+ question section to study which was just brutal. You need to take a mental break every 50 questions for like 30 mins, and I would recommend doing no more than 200 questions per day at the max. Don’t think you can blow though this in one day, unless you’re superman. It took me 8 days of studying 4-5 hours each day. Endorsement is given by Sheppard as a courtesy after scoring 90+ one time in their practice test, or by an ATP instructor after you have enrolled with them and score 90+ three times.
- Sheppard Air. The End. Heed my warning above. FOLLOW the strategy to the T, it is VERY important you do not mess this up, or you will fill your brain with all the wrong answers and memorize the wrong answers instead of the correct ones.
Score: 85% (I could have gotten 90+ on this one, but I realized my mistake at the end, after I had already submitted the exam. There were 3 questions there where I said “WAIT, now I remember it! it was in my Sheppard memory aid!!!” but then it was too late. Don’t do the same mistake as I did.
Question Bank: 1,200+
3) Flight Instructor Instrument (FII) - No Endorsement Required
You just studied for this. It is the SAME exact question bank as the IRA. Despite what Sheppard says (Buy our other course, because the IRA Sheppard Course will not prepare you for any other exam). The only reason they have another course for this, is because they narrow it down from 1200 potential question bank to like 700 potential question bank. But that dosn’t make sense because you should know every single question and answer already in the whole bank from the IRA.
Question Bank: 1,200+ (Same exact question and answers as IRA)
4) Commercial Pilot (CAX) - Endorsement Required
It does tend to get a tiny bit more easier from here, but there are a lot of questions here that can confuse you, especially when it comes to numbers. Just study, study, study. You should know the Sheppard strategy by heart now. Endorsement is given by Sheppard as a courtesy after scoring 90+ one time in their practice test, or by an ATP instructor after you have enrolled with them and score 90+ three times.
- Sheppard Air.
Question Bank: 950+
5) Flight Instructor Airplane (FIA) - No Endorsement Required
Say it with me, EASYYYYY. It’s just a bunch of vocabulary questions.
- Sheppard Air.
Question Bank: 450+
6) Fundamentals of Instruction (FOI) - No Endorsement Required
Say it with me, EASIERRRRRR. The most easy of all exams. I studied everything with Sheppard in one day and took the exam the next.
- Sheppard Air.
Question Bank: 298
7) Instrument Ground Instructor (IGI) - No Endorsement Required
This exam is not required as part of the ATP airline program, HOWEVER, if you want to be a gold seal CFI (just another fancy thing to put on your resume, and fancy thing to have on your license), you need to complete this exam.
- Sheppard Air. You studied for this. It is the SAME exact question bank as the IRA. Despite what Sheppard says (Buy our other course, because the IRA Sheppard Course will not prepare you for any other exam). The only reason they have another course for this, is because they narrow it down from 1200 potential question bank to like 700 potential question bank. But that dosn’t make sense because you should know every single question and answer already in the whole bank from the IRA.
Question Bank: 1,200+
Great! You have finished all your required writtens. Now you are awarded with two benefits.
Less stress in your trek in the ATP airline pilot journey. Now you just focus on flying, no need to worry about the writtens. This is the biggest benefit.
You are awarded one free year of ForeFlight Basic ($100.00 value). Use This link to first get it for $80.00. Pay the 80 to get it. Then login your ATP Student ExtraNet and fill out the credit reimbursement form under the “Account” tab. Then ATP will give you back what you spent for ForeFlight basic.
- Use Kings Online PPL Ground Course + Gleim Book for the PAR
- Use sheppard for every exam after that
- The IGI, IRA, & FII all have the same exact questions and answers. Take them all in one day if possible, so the asnwers dont fade from your brain.
- FOLLOW SHEPPARD TO THE T. I CANNOT STRESS THIS ENOUGH
- The FIA & FOI are the easiest of the bunch
- Good Luck! It took me maybe 2 months to get through all of these 7 exams; and now I will start ATP airline program next week!
If you have any questions for me, I will gladly answer.