SODA vs Special issuance

I’m kinda confused. What is the difference between a SODA ( not the one you drink) and a Special issuance? Which one has the biggest impact on the chances of getting hired by the airlines?

David,

Great question and let me preface this by saying I’m no expert. First as I understand it a SODA falls under the Special Issuance language. But the main difference is a simple Special Issuance generally pertains to a medical condition (disease) that may or may not prevent the issuance of a medical certificate (ie, diabetes, cardiac conditions, etc) and usually just requires a Dr’s statement saying the pilot is fit and doesn’t require any prohibited meds. A SODA refers more to physical impairments that could effect a pilots performance (vision, loss of a limb, etc), which is why a SODA literally means a “Statement of Demonstrated Abilities”. The SODA requires a demonstration of performance (ie, alternate test for color vision) and will often contain restrictions which would appear on the pilot’s medical cert (ie, Day VFR only, hearing application required).

Based on that I believe a SODA could obviously have a greater effect if any of the listed restrictions/conditions restricted certain flight operations. Make sense?

Adam

Yes sir, thank you. I wish there was an AME here to address questions regarding the medical…

David,

If word got out that there was an AME on here dolling out free advice the site would crash!

Adam

David,

I think you would find that an AME would not be willing to address questions over the internet. They need to see the individual to do an actually physical evaluation.

Chris