Specific Driving Record Question

Hi there,

I know this has been asked before but I want to hear what people think about my specific situation.

I have one speeding ticket and one at fault accident, both within a year of one another. I only have one other speeding ticket on my record, and it was almost 7 years ago.

I know this will come up if I want to become an airline pilot, which I am considering. But will it severely lower my chances of being able to become a pilot, to the point where it’s not even worth pursuing? I’m deeply interested in the career path but have now realized this may be an issue.

Thanks for your time, and I look forward to hearing your thoughts.

Benjamin,

Despite what you think your situation is not unique and while EVERYBODY wants a specific answer to their personal situation, there also isn’t a Bad Driving Record Airline Reference list that says you can have 2 Speeders, 1 accident or 3 Red Lights and you’ll be ok etc. When you interview at the airlines they look at the whole picture. If you’re a great candidate and have a few blemishes you’ll be fine. If you’re borderline with checkride busts, no degree, and a poor driving record you won’t be. If you’re somewhere in between its anybody’s guess.

If I were you I’d stop breaking the law and start driving responsibly and try to be the best pilot you can. If you do you should be fine but if you’re looking for guarantees go shop at Costco.

Adam

Benjamin,
That alone will not be enough but keep in mind, it’s the big picture. You can’t change the past so it will be on your record for future applications but you can control your future.
-Hannah

Benjamin,

I do not think this will be a big issue for you, provided you stop speeding and keep a clean driving record going forward.

Chris