Sporty's Studdy Buddy

How accurate is the free sporty’s app? I’ve been taking it twice everyday after work for the past two weeks. I’ve been getting 90-95 each time I take it. Every once in awhile I may get something a little lower (mid to high 80s). I ask because I notice that sometimes the practice test doesn’t always give a question from every category. For example, sometimes it may ask a density altitude problem sometimes it may not. Sometimes it may have a navigation question and other times it may not. I feel like I have a really good understanding of all the categories. However, subjective feeling can contradict reality. I just want to make sure I actually understand all the questions asked of me. Thanks.

1 Like

Lynn,

Pretty accurate. It randomly generates questions from the pool just like the actual FAA exam will. That meaning you may very well get an exam that doesn’t hit every subject or doubles up on others.

Adam

1 Like

Lynn,

The app is very accurate, while not quite 100%. If you are consistently getting good scores on your practice exams, it is time to take the test.

Chris

1 Like

Lynn,

Speaking from personal experience, it’s a great resource. I used it and got a 90% on my PPL written and an 88% on my IRA written (though I primarily used SheppardAir for the IRA) . Good luck!

Yuran

1 Like

I just took it and got a 95. It worked really well. I am going to reward myself by studying for my instrument written. Happy Friday!

3 Likes

Lynn,

Congratulations! That is a great score. I like your plans on rewarding yourself :slight_smile:

Chris

1 Like

Nice job! Keep it up!

Adam

Thanks! Btw, I hear the instrument rating is one of the most challenging. What specifically makes it demanding and what can I do, besides the written, to prepare?

1 Like

Start Instrument training :wink:

Seriously the Instrument is the most challenging for most people because you’re flying in the blind and MUST rely solely on your Instruments. You MUST be precise in everything as failure to do so can have grave consequences. Factor in it’s many pilot’s first experience with physical factors (special disorientation) which is your body telling you one thing while your instruments are telling you another. Good times.

Adam

1 Like

Lynn,

Instrument training was by far the most difficult part about training for me, but with patience, hard work and a good CFI, it shouldn’t be a problem for you.

Chris

1 Like

Mentors,

I saw in the FAQs to use the King Schools courseware to prepare for the Knowledge Tests which is available in the Student Extranet, but I’m not a student yet and wont be for a while. I’m currently in Afghanistan, returning to the states in a couple months and want to get my PPL when I return before going back to finish up school before hopefully starting at ATP with the 80+ hours next summer (2019). So I’d like to do all the studying and knock out the knowledge test prior to returning so I can just focus on the actual flying.

I’m assuming that since I won’t be starting ATP for so long I wont be able to get an Extranet login, so my question is do any of you know of a comparable iPad/online course for cheaper? Or is the King School the top ground school/knowledge test prep courseware and therefore well worth the $280 price tag in your opinions?

Gavin

1 Like

Gavin,

The King program is definitely the best but if you read this thread you’ll see Lynn did just fine using Sporty’s Study Buddy which is free. Take a look at that one.

Adam

1 Like

Gavin,

If you want to get a head start and use the King program, you would recommend checking on eBay for a cheap used copy. As long as it isn’t terribly old, you should be fine as the material does no change that much.

Chris