STD and time off

For you men and women at airlines, could you give a breakdown of how STD usually works? I know where I currently work you get 60% of your pay and can buy up to I think 70% for a small amount every two weeks and was just curious ow this work at the airlines?
Also, say you get grounded for your yearly physical due to say developing diabetes or needing a CPap, two conditions I’ve read are both now allowed on a case by case basis. Are you put on STD until you’re cleared? Just wondering about certain things tonight while I’m taking a break from studying.

Anthony,

All leaves due to medical, family, long and short vary greatly from airline to airline. When it comes to STD most will simply come out of your sick and/or vacation bank. It’ll be full pay as long as you have time in your bank. At my airline LTD kicks in after 90 days but the percentage varies by your years of service and maxes out at 50% and that’s not until 10yrs in. The union offers LTD insurance and the cost varies by age getting pretty expensive if you start late. All that would apply if you lost your medical and again there is loss of license insurance available from the union.

Adam

Thanks Adam for the response. In general at your airline, what’s the yearly amount of sick and vacation time awarded as I’m sure that’s also based on airline to airline.

Anthony,

We acrue 7.5hrs of sick time per month. My understanding is the average is 6.

Adam