Student Pilot Schedule

Hi, my name is Mercia. I’ve been dreaming of becoming a pilot ever since I was in high school (which was 10 years ago…) however, due to family circumstances, including financial barrier, i was never able to achieve that dream.
Now, I am married and have a child. This might not be the perfect time to start flight training but I couldn’t get over the thought of not starting my training forever.

Anyway, not really related to that situation, I just want to know if I will be able to take Saturdays off as a student pilot (due to religious reason)? I am aware that we have to be available for 5-7 days/week. I’m just wondering if it’s still possible for me to just get every Saturdays off and do my training on other days, even on Sundays and I will be prepared for that.

Any ideas?

Mercia,

My thoughts are even if you could get Saturdays off for training (which will be difficult) what will you do once you are done and begin to pursue your career?

Saturday is often the busiest day at most flight schools and there’s no way you’re getting Saturdays off at the airlines.

If you want to fly recreationally that’s fine but if you have any aspirations to be a professional it’s not going to work.

Adam

Mercia,

I am sure there are flight schools that would gladly accommodate your request, but it simply will not work once you are flying professionally in the industry. Airlines are legally barred from acting on religious requests such as that and I cannot imagine a corporate operator entertaining the idea. If your goal is to be a pilot, I would suggest finding some flexibility on the Saturday issue. If you are unable to do so, this might not be the career for you.

Chris

Mercia,

Keeping an open schedule and timeline is a valuable thing during training for your certificates. Some flight schools may be able to accommodate a Saturday here and there, but a full-time program like ATP will require you to be available if something changes. Weather, plane maintenance, instructor availability can impact your schedule last minute, so it’s important to be ready at any moment.

Your religion requests may make it difficult if you are interested in pursuing a career as an airline pilot, even charter/corporate. Aviation is a revolving operation; it does not stop throughout the day. You will be flying on the weekends, especially as you gain seniority in your company.

Brady