Real Answers from Real Pilots

Summer Job Before Flight School

I am currently getting a Bachelor’s Degree in engineering. However, I want to go to flight school after I graduate with the goal of being a pilot. I have one summer left before I graduate. Last summer, I had a technical engineering internship and did not really enjoy it. Next summer, I was thinking of working at an FBO.

My question is, would working at an FBO instead of a technical engineering internship (non-aviation) negatively impact my resume? My thinking is that it does not really matter, or it might help my resume, since it would be working in aviation. Do airlines look hard at past internships? Or would the technical experience make me more attractive to the airlines?

Patrick,

Airlines hire experienced well trained pilots. They really aren’t overly concerned where you interned or whether you have at all. The one exception is IF you live next to a Major airport, some of the airlines do offer internships and that could help fast track to a position with that airline. If that’s not an option enjoy yourself and do what you want.

Adam

Patrick,

I do not think it matters one bit which one you do. The airlines will be looking for qualified, experienced pilots, internships do not really matter unless it is with the airline itself.

Chris

Thank you to both of you!

Patrick,

Anytime, let us know how else we can help you.

Chris

Patrick,

I googled some sample resumes for airline pilots. Looking at those you see that there is not a whole lot of information other than your flight qualifications and time. That tells me that extracurriculars should be more for your enjoyment. Just my opinion but enjoy your summer how you want to.

I see what you’re saying, thanks Joshua!