Sunglasses Suggestions

Does anyone have any suggestions on what sunglasses to wear while flying? I know you should not have polarized sunglasses. Some sunglasses are uncomfortable on my face, so if anyone has any recommendations on light, snug but comfortable sunglasses, and don’t mess with the headset, please inform me.

1 Like

Rushan,

I have a pair of Ralph Laureen sunglasses that I wear. I find they work pretty well with the headset.

Chris

Chris,

Thanks for the recommendation. I like your style :wink:

Oh my….

The sunglass debate is upon, soon we’ll see the watch and it seems the headset one may revive… with the new Bose headset launch March 28. :eyes:

Brady

2 Likes

Can’t wait…

Serengeti drivers. Many styles to suit you and they cut glare better than any other un-polarized lenses I’ve tried and I’ve tried ALOT!

Adam

2 Likes

In all honesty, I use Flying Eyes Optic, there are so many discount codes out there on YouTube channels and all, it was worth the try. I’ve enjoyed my pair, been using them since I started instructing and even while I drive. The most important thing you want to avoid is polarization, find a pair that is not polarized.

Brady

1 Like

Brady,

Thank you. I’ll make sure to search on youtube for any promo codes and such.

I can second the Flying Eyes sunglasses. They’re super thin so they fit great under the headset, and as Brady says you can easily find a 10-15% off code from one of the many great aviation Youtubers who use them. Noel Philips, LewDix, etc. I have prescription lenses in mine, which I got from Lensabl.

3 Likes

Very nice! I’ve never heard of these. Cool niche business idea. Might have to try out a new pair myself…

Hannah

Do they sell good aviation shades at the sunglasses hut?

Rushan,

Sure. If there’s a pair you like that aren’t polarized and have straight, thin temples that you can easily slide in and out from under your headset they’re fine.

Adam

Rushan,

Great question, I walked right by a Sunglasses Hut today on my day off, I wish I seen this earlier or I would’ve looked. As Adam said, no polarized and thin temples that can slide easily with a headset will work. It comes down to personal preference if you want to go name brand or cheap… as long as they aren’t polarized and breaking seals on the ears, along with comfy - they should work.

Brady

Brady and Adam,

That’s good to know. Thanks.

Out of curiosity, do Airlines have any specific restrictions on the appearance of Sunglasses? I’m Active Duty military and we’ve got all sorts of restrictions on what we can wear, must be black or grey frames, non-reflective lenses, no pit-viper sunglasses etc. Are there any styles you’d recommend avoiding?
Also, you mean to tell me that you’re not just given a pair of Aviators once you enroll? Lame…

None that I’ve ever seen or heard of?

Adam

1 Like

Stephen,

Never heard of any restrictions on the type of sunglasses. We are a little more relaxed on this side of aviation.

Chris

2 Likes

Stephen,

I haven’t seen any specific criteria on sunglasses. However, there is always a line either in the beginning or end of the uniform guidelines section that generally says: you represent the company. Keep it professional. So if you come to work with massive neon shades with purple lenses that light up, well would that be considered professional in the eyes of passengers?

Hannah

2 Likes

Thanks guys! I kind of figured that was the case. Wasn’t a huge concern, more of a curiosity :man_shrugging:

1 Like

Couldn’t imagine a pilot doing preflight in ‘pit vipers.’ I am sure it has been done… :man_facepalming:

Brady

3 Likes