Sunglasses with Headsets

Hello everyone. I recently got the Bose A20 headset and started my flight training but after a little bit, my sunglasses start to hurt my head under the headset. I saw flyingeyes sunglasses and was wondering if anyone had those sunglasses and what you think of them? If not, what sunglasses do you have that won’t hurt under a headset?

1 Like

Brad,

Depending on the sunglasses it can become painful, I used to use a cheap pair of Wayfarer from a local store. I recently bought myself a pair of Flying Eyes’ Kingfisher (using a YouTuber’s discount code for 10%) a few months ago to use with my David Clarke headset and find no discomfort, in fact the sunglasses are flexible, lightweight, and a pretty nice feel. The best advice I can offer with sunglasses is avoiding Polarization as it distorts things like iPad screens and panel equipment. I think having protection to your eyes is extremely important.

Brady

3 Likes

Brad,

Sunglasses are really a pretty important piece of aviation gear that’s often overlooked. I’m not really familiar with flyingeyes but I do have a ton of sunglasses!

Long/short you really want to look for sunglasses that are light weight, have relatively thin and straight (no ear hook) temples that won’t interfere with your Bose and are easy to slide on and off and lastly aren’t polarized as that can often effect how you see your screens if you’re flying in glass. Other than that you want something that suits your style. My favorites are Serengeti. I find they have the best clarity and glare protection for non polarized lenses. I also like Maui Jim’s, Ray Bans, and Oakley.

Adam

1 Like

Look like a dork and raise them above headset ears. Cheapest fix. Fly8MA on YT is a great example. No Shame.

Chris F

2 Likes

Chris,

I could only do that for so long before I could not stand the pain in the temple area.

Brady

1 Like

Brad,
The key is to find sunglasses with very thin frames. I love ray bans (with thin metal frames like aviators do not like the wayfarers) for that aspect. The frames are so thin you can hardly feel them under your headset. Also make sure they are not polarized!

-Hannah

2 Likes

Yeah I found out about the sunglasses from a flight instructor on youtube as well. Thanks for your input

Thank you all for your advice and recommendations

You can certainly find a cheaper pair with a similar look, but I keep these Oakley Tincan Carbon sunglasses in my flight bag. The temples have never bothered me.

Tory

1 Like

I go as cliche as it gets - RayBan. They’re comfortable and do the job well.

2 Likes

I wear a pair of Ralph Lauren glasses with a thin frame and thin arms. I find that they fit just fine under headsets. This is where I also get to point out that David Clark headsets seem to hav softer, more forgiving, ear seals than Bose do.

Chris

2 Likes