Super Sonic

Hey guys, do you think that supersonic travel will once again return in the future?

Doubtful. Too expensive and inefficient. That’s why no one manufacturer is pursuing it.

Adam

Oh I disagree. I actually just did a presentation on this. A few years back NASA conducted experimental flights of the coast of Florida to test the integrity of the equipment used to measure the sonic boom and to also further the knowledge known about the sonic boom. They’re working with Lockheed Martin to develop the X-59 QueSST which will be tested over select cities to see how people on the ground react to it. There’s also a few startups (pending FAA approval); Boom Supersonic, Spike Aerospace, and Aerion Supersonic. As long as technology is implemented to reduce the sonic boom and companies find a way to make it relatively affordable or find their target audience, it’s possible to have SST’s back in the skies. I’m from NYC and I remember hearing and seeing the Concorde as a kid. Would love to have it back or a variant of it.

Salvatore,

There are a whole lot of “if’s” and "it’s possible"s in the above. Guess we’ll see but I wouldn’t get too excited or plan on seeing one at your local airport anytime soon.

Adam

Divine,

I do not see this happening anytime soon. The costs are just so high and there really is not a demand for it right now.

Chris

Salvatore,

NASA is working on a lot of things, like going to the moon and to Mars, none of which seem to be happening anytime soon. The bottom line is that there is not a major manufacturer using their own money (not public money) to develop such a project.

Chris