Taking My Big Risk

Hello all,

As I approach my start date on March 18th at the Ellington (EFD) ATP location in Houston, TX, I wanted to introduce myself. My name is Kyle, I am 26 and currently working as a Safety Manager in the Construction industry. I have no aviation background but have a passion for flying, travel and serving others. There is nothing pushing me out of my current job other than having a big dream. I always told myself I wouldn’t let my life go by without taking a risk. So here I am taking my big risk.

I have completed all the required ATP GIS videos and have my Elevate Ground School scheduled in February. I plan to complete my Written Exams before starting the program to better prepare myself for success. I have some work to do between now and March 18th, but I am ready to put in the work and get things knocked out.

I wanted to thank all of you that have contributed to this forum. It has helped answer many questions as I walk into this new chapter in life. I would be lying if I said I wasn’t nervous about what’s ahead, but I know by taking it one day at a time and keeping my head down and working hard ANYTHING IS POSSIBLE. I plan to follow up on milestones as they come. Next step, study for the PAR!

Regards,
Kyle Kitchen

6 Likes

Kyle,

Congrats on the start date at Ellington Field! March is going to come faster than you can imagine and where you have already gotten the head start, will serve you well in the program. Keep up that great work and before you know it, you’ll be holding both CFI-I/MEI certificates in your hand! 7 months is a journey that you’re about to embark on, make sure to take time to create memories and friendships because they will last a lifetime.

Whenever you get a chance, flight training is first, forum is not going anywhere, we would love updates. Solo pictures are welcomed! :slight_smile:

Brady

2 Likes

Kyle,

Thank you for the kind words and congratulations on selecting a start date! It sounds like you have a good plan of attack for preparing for your written exams and getting ready to start the program.

Please let us know if you have any questions along the way and remember to come back with updates, we look forward to hearing from you.

Chris

1 Like

Hey Kyle,

Congrats on taking the big step towards the best career you’ll ever have. It’s dang near 5 years ago to the day I started my journey in the exact same situation you are in, only I was 28. It’s funny, your words are just about exactly how I felt those 5 years ago. Work hard and push through the struggles, you won’t regret it.

Welcome to the friendly, blue skies!

2 Likes

Hello Kyle,

My name’s David and I started at the Ellington airport location yesterday with credit private. Good luck with your written tests and looking forward to seeing you here in March. I used Sheppard Air to study for my instrument and flight instructor instrument written and found it to be a very effective way to prepare for the tests. If you follow their study methods you should have no problem with the PAR.

1 Like

Kyle,

Welcome to the forum! Congratulations on your start date. You’ve taken a big leap, one that not many are courageous enough to do.

I can also relate. I was working in an another industry and took the leap myself at 25. Starting over is incredibly scary but it pays off! Now I’m 30 and flying at my dream airline and still pinch myself that I get paid to do it.

You’ve come to the right place. There will always be a community here to cheer you on and give you a little tough advice from time to time! :slight_smile: Feel free to stop in with any questions you have along the way. March will be here soon!

Hannah

2 Likes

Hi David, does the Instrument and Flight instructor exam use the same test bank? I just signed up for the Sheppard Air instrument course. Thanks!

Matthew,

The Instrument (IRA) and the Instrument Instructor (FII) do. The Flight Instructor (FIA) is different.

Adam

Matthew,

It is recommended to take both exams in the same day if you can, the IRA and FII utilize the same test bank (however, you may see 1 or 2 different questions between the banks - nothing that would cause a failure). When scheduling your exams, try to get the same day and knock them both out with one stone.

Brady

2 Likes

Yes, I used the Sheppard Air IRA study course to study for both exams and took them both on the same day. Surprisingly I did much better on the FII exam than the IRA exam. I have no clue how that happened. Also there are 10 less questions on the FII exam (IRA has 60 questions).

1 Like

David,

It could just be that the FII has a smaller bank of questions. You might have just gotten a batch you didn’t see as often in your prep for the IRA.

Hannah

1 Like

Unless there’s been a change in the last few years, how can you sit for the written without an endorsement? Being you want to take it before starting.

Kevin,

Whatever test prep you use will provide you with an endorsement with proof of successful practice exams. Also if you’re officially enrolled in the ATP program, you can get an endorsement from a training center.

Adam

Kevin,

If you’re studying on your own, you will have to find your own CFI to give you the endorsement; whatever the process is to get that, that’s on the discussion between you and them. If you’re using a test prep app, typically they will provide an endorsement for a fee and couple good practice test results. If you’re attending ATP, an instructor can provide you the endorsement after at least 3, 90+ score’s.

Brady

Seems every CFI I’ve dealt with in my area have gone through ATP whether 0-hero or private credit. Really great resource.

Hey Kyle,

Hope you’re doing great! It’s been about a month since your introductory post, and I wanted to reach out to see how your prep is going as you inch closer to your big start date on March 18th. Your determination and passion for flying really stood out in your message, and it’s inspiring to see someone take such a bold step towards their dreams.

You mentioned you were planning to tackle the written exams before diving into the program, which is a fantastic strategy. How’s the studying for the PAR coming along? Remember, it’s all about taking one step at a time, and it sounds like you’re on the right path to setting yourself up for success.

Your journey is a testament to the power of pursuing one’s dreams with hard work and dedication. It’s okay to be nervous - it means you’re stepping out of your comfort zone, which is where growth happens. Remember, this forum is here for you, whether you’re seeking advice, sharing milestones, or maybe just need a bit of encouragement during those intense study sessions.

Can’t wait to hear about your progress and how you’re feeling as March 18th draws nearer. Keep up the hard work, Kyle, and remember, you’ve got a whole community rooting for you here!

Hi Jay!

Thank you for the kind words of encouragement. I completed my Private Elevate course Friday afternoon and have my PAR scheduled for 24 hours from this post. I will be taking the rest of the day to review areas of weakness to better prepare myself for tomorrow. I will be sure to check back in with my results.

Regards,
Kyle

Hey Kyle,

Hats off to you for finishing your course and tackling your studies head-on! Wishing you all the best for your PAR test tomorrow. You’re doing all the right things to prepare, and I have no doubt you’ll excel. Can’t wait for your next update. Go get it!

Cheers,
Jay

1 Like

Update:

Today I received a passing score of 80% on the PAR. While I’m thankful to have passed, I understand that I have more work to do. No excuses. I am determined to get to work on studying for the IRA/FII and get those scores over 90%. I will take this as a learning experience to set the standard of what it takes to achieve what I expect of myself.

Regards,
Kyle

Kyle,

Congrats on passing the PAR, while not the greatest score, there is room for improvement! Keep on striving for those higher scores. Sheppard Air may make it easier for you, you can study for both exams with the IRA test bank. Many of the thousand plus questions on the FII test bank are the same as IRA.

While it is fresh in your mind, go over the Private Pilot ACS and look up the ACS codes you missed out on during the PAR. These will most definitely come up on a checkride.

Brady