Taking the ACPP one location, working CFI at a different

Hello all, planning on taking the plunge in a couple months to join ATP after I finish settling some accounts (clearing out any debts/getting Lasik/various other life chores). I currently live in Austin, TX although I moved here for a network engineer job and at 33 I’m done with IT. Austin rent is becoming ridiculous because landlords figure they can exploit all the new high-income IT folk moving here (aka me) just like Silicon Valley so ideally within a few years I’ll be moving back to San Antonio since I don’t plan on working in IT anymore.

To cut to the chase, I see there are locations in Austin, San Antonio and Houston that all 3 would be okay. Austin because my lease doesn’t end til May, San Antonio because it’s where all my friends live and where I want to live in the future, and Houston. Houston is where my dad lives, and he lives like 10 minutes away from the Ellington Airport location there. I’m thinking of negotiating and early termination to my lease here in Austin and doing the ACPP there in Houston and save a ton on rent money. From what an ATP rep told me over the phone, that location is one they are currently hiring CFIs at too (as opposed to a wait list at other spots)

Would I be able to finish the program there in Houston and either

1. get hired as a CFI at a different location after the 7 months in Houston (aka San Antonio ideally)
  2. work as a CFI there in Houston til around the 2 year mark where I could either move to an airline or ‘worst case’ transfer my position to another location (living at my Dad’s while earning money would certainly help me pay it off faster) or
  3. just start the ACPP at the location I want to live and work in the future? (ie… San Antonio)

Marcus,

CFI locations are completely based on availability at the time you complete your training. While Austin may be hiring right now, it very well may not be when you’re done and the same goes for Houston, and every place else. When you’re done with training (and IF you do well) you’ll be given a list of openings. If one works for you great, if not you’re free to seek employment elsewhere.

After you build the required 1500hrs you can then move on to the Regionals.

Adam

Thanks, so you’re saying that the ATP training has no bearing on where you will potentially get hired to work at within ATP as a CFI. If I do well, I will be given a list of the openings which may be in Arizona or whatever is available, if I understand correctly. Is there any way to get on a ‘waiting list’ for a specific location since I assume the CFI turnover rate is pretty high (due to instructors getting the requisite hours to move on to regional airlines)

Marcus,

You are correct on both counts and yes, you can (as many do) put yourself on a wait list for your preferred location.

Adam