The Coronavirus

I’ve been seeing and hearing a lot about the coronavirus lately. I was just curious if this is affecting the airlines or more specifically your airline. I read about international airports doing thermal checks and also spraying passengers with disinfectant spray in some countries. I was wondering if your respective airlines cancelled some of their international destinations? Have you guys noticed a negative impact or is this kind of being blown out of proportion?

Al,

It’s definitely a concern. We no longer fly to PEK so that’s not an issue but HNL is one of the 7 airports in the US that’s still accepting flight from China. So far we haven’t seen any real impact but there’s definitely concern. Year’s ago when the SARS epidemic broke out it did affect in the industry. Hopefully we won’t get there this time.

Adam

What are the other airports still accepting flights from China?

Al,

We just received an email that all passengers inbound to the US will have already been prescreened. So, in theory, all passengers should not be affected.

Tory

Apparently the list is now up to 11:
Chicago’s O’Hare International, Dallas Fort Worth International, Detroit Metropolitan, Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International, Honolulu’s Daniel K. Inouye International, John F. Kennedy International, Los Angeles International, Newark Liberty International, San Francisco International, Seattle-Tacoma International, and Washington Dulles International airports.

Adam

My understanding is that we have stopped all flights to China. I am sure it will have a significant impact on the financial health of the airline.