The next step towards ATP

Hello!
I am a 23 year old senior at a California State University, set to graduate in May with a bachelor’s in Graphic Design. I knew I’d never pursue GD as my career, but maybe as a freelance gig. I’ve always been interested in pursuing aviation, but wanted an out if it didn’t work out. My primary concern is the loan I’d have to pay off ATP, as well as the one from my university. After college I plan on working at the local commuter railroad for a few years as I have connections there and the pay is adequate to pay off debt and even save a decent amount of money for ATP. During the few years I am at the railroad, would it be worthwhile to train at a local flight school to acquire my PPL? Or should I just wait until I start at ATP to get my PPL? Has anyone found it substantially advantageous to already have their PPL? Thanks for any input!

Satchel,

Most people are intimidated by the loan. I was too when I decided that this was what I wanted to do.

This is something that you’re going to have to figure out on your own. I can give you some things to consider, but you have to figure out what’s best for you.

Some people are ready to take out the loan and start from zero. Other people prefer to tread cautiously before making the commitment. I fell into the more cautious category. I received my PPL before enrolling. Though I wouldn’t say it was “advantageous” as you put it, but it was the right choice for me. Again, not saying it’s the right choice for you. Just giving you some things to think about.

So, why was it right? It allowed me to not only pay as I went, but also have more time to assimilate the information. The consequence of this approach is that I had to unlearn some bad habits when I got to ATP. I also ran the risk of extending the length of my PPL training or never finishing it. So, if you end up getting your PPL outside of ATP, make sure to scope out the school thoroughly and hold yourself accountable for your progress.

The other things to consider is your age. More on that below.

Here are some articles from the FAQ section you should read. After reading them, you should have a good sense of what to do next.

https://airlinepilot.life/t/how-do-i-become-an-airline-pilot/10891/2

https://airlinepilot.life/t/questions-for-any-prospective-flight-school/117/14

https://airlinepilot.life/t/am-i-too-old-to-be-an-airline-pilot/8062/2

Tory

Satchel,

There are tons of posts on this forum explaining why seniority is everything and why waiting rather than taking a loan will cost you many times more than the debt. If you care to look, by all means but to answer your question, I’d wait. Virtually every pilot I know found training on their own, part-time to be very expensive and inefficient. The time you save will be nominal but the expense will not be. Factor in you may have to unlearn some bad habits that contradict ATPs methods and there’s little point.

Adam

I would recommend against doing any training prior to ATP, other than the intro flight. Coming into the program with a PPL will only save you a few months of time, but obtaining that PPL will probably cost you significantly more than it would with ATP and you could also have significant bad habits to unlearn from whatever flight school you go to.

I got my PPL while I was in college from a small local school and really wish that I had not. It took way too long and cost much more than it should have.

Chris