The Pilot Shortage Returns

An interesting article that deals with the effects of a pilot shortage on the industry and the ramifications it has for pilot pay.

Well look at that. Just when I decided for sure that I wanted to be a pilot. I knew that the early retirement of the senior pilots would come back to bite the airlines.

Chris, Adam and the rest: I know what you’re going to say. Yes I’m on it. I just have to wait a little bit while my immigration is finalized and I’ll be heading to my nearest ATP.

While I’m here, I see alot written about using King or Gleim. What are your thoughts on Rod Machado’s book?

Chris,

I would love more efficient trips! 8-10hr day for min credit is so frustrating. Would much rather fly more on work days to get more time off every month…

My thoughts would be Airlines :
-petition FAA to raise retirement to 70yr old
-allow ATP @ 1000-1200hr for all pilots

• focus on investing in making new pilots (similar to China) rather than increasing salaries too much.

Gonna need to be creative to avoid such a potentially large shortfall.

Overall, not the worst news for US pilot futures.

Chris F

1 Like

Nigel,

I’ve been reading Rod’s stuff for years but it’s really not going to help you with the writtens. The FAA Knowledge exams really don’t follow any curriculum and are asked often in confusing ways. The exams are best banged out simply using rote memorization.

Adam

1 Like

Chris,

While both would help, who do you think is going to petition the FAA to raise the age? Most older pilots want out sooner than later (hence all the early retirements) and most young guys want them gone so there’s more movement. As for the hours that was hard fought by the public and they like it alot so that isn’t changing either.

The shortage was a good thing and will continue to be, unless you want to go back to $18hr and pay for your own training?

Adam

Good to know. Ok, so I’ll follow the advice of a previous poster who outlined what to study from to bang out the writtens.

Nigel,

Stick with one of the known written study prep courses, like King or Gleim. They have both been doing this for decades and know exactly how to prepare people for the writtens.

Chris

Chris,

I do not see the airline pilot retirement age being raised anytime soon. We all slow down as we age, I don’t think that 69 would be a safe age to be piloting a jet. It took an act of congress to raise the retirement age last time, there is just no momentum to do so and there would be significant opposition against it,

The 1,500 hour rule was also an act of Congress. The public likes it and to be fair, there have not been any fatal crashed of airliners in the US since it came into existence.

Raising pilot salaries will lead to more pilots, it always has. The more attractive the job is, the more people will want to do it.

Chris