The Time Has Finally Come! (TTN/ILG Experience)

Good Evening All,

So I am now a commercial pilot. I experienced my first bust which just added to the stress for me but looking back I shouldn’t have stressed as much as I did because most people experience at least 1 bust.

Crew was lots of fun and really gets you prepared for the real world of flying with those that you prefer and don’t prefer. It is also challenging to not be able to look at the TAF of your home airport for the next few days and knowing when you will fly as you may not even be in the same region over the next few days.

Its amazing to look back and see how fast everything goes. I was 38 days ahead at my first Comm SE checkride and currently still about a month head. I leave for CFI Academy on Sept 5 so hopefully I will have more news for people in about a month or 2.

As always if you have any questions about TTN or close locations I’d be happy to try and answer or get you the answer.

2 Likes

Just wanted to give a quick update. I passed my CFI Initial yesterday which still keeps me just ahead of the program outline and on track with no major delays. Now is the quick turnaround for my CFII and then on to the Seminole for my ME stuff. I’m still undecided on my MEI as I don’t plan on staying at ATP as I was hoping to get an opening at the ILG location but we know that is no longer a chance.

1 Like

MEI instructors are hard to come by and command a premium. At my present employer, only 15-20 percent of instructors have an MEI. Don’t cut the program short for the sake of saving a month or so of progress… Not worth it financially.

1 Like

Tom,

Congratulations on getting your CFI, that is a huge accomplishment. Thanks for the update. Keep them coming.

Chris

1 Like

It’s not about cutting it short as the program I started in the MEI is your last day. It’s more of every school I’ve looked at doesn’t have a multi plane

Tom,

I would still recommend getting your MEI. Even if you never use it, it is still good to have and looks good on a resume. Plus, you never know when an opportunity to use might come up…

Chris

Thanks for the thought Chris. I didn’t think the MEI would look good to the airlines. I’ll definitely take that into consideration over the next month and see where I’m at in the Seminole!

To update this for the last time. I got my Comm ME last friday (11/15) and am finishing up the program this week. Although I never made it to ILG for the program I did fly there on crew a bunch and it was a really nice TC. My instructor at TTN was great and really kept me (and the rest of his students) together when we were busting at the seams with stress.

I thought long and hard about my MEI and decided to forgo it for the time being as the risk vs reward wasn’t there for me to pursue it.

Although there were challenges outside the program I had a blast and am kind of disappointed I didn’t take more time to just stop and reflect or enjoy the now at the time.

I will be putting a full review of the program up soon but want to conduct my thoughts fully on it.

Tom,

Congrats on finishing everything up! You have been with us on this board for a long time and we have really appreciated all of the updates. Please keep them coming as you progress through your career.

Chris

Thank you Chris! It’s been a very long journey from my first set of training in 2001 and I want to thank you, Adam, Tory and Yarden for allowing us a sneak peek into your lives so we can make an informed decision about our future! Hopefully ill be able to chime in on the student section in the future as an ATP instructor but not sure what their plan is for Trenton as far as needs of another instructor

I hear you. I felt the same. Don’t dwell on it too much. It’s a very fast-paced program. So fast that it doesn’t leave time for reflection because there’s always something to do. Even if you’re on track or ahead of schedule, the next phase is right around the corner. It feels like you’re never on track, never ahead. There’s always more.

Plus, it’s hard! I get into the same mindset as you. Even to this day. I’ve learned to accept it. When I show up for training, I’m there to learn first. Everything else is secondary.

So, you said this is your last week. How will you celebrate your accomplishments? What’s next for you?

Thank you for all of your contributions to this forum, and for taking action on the advice given. This is why we do what we do.

Tory

1 Like

Next? I don’t know. I wasn’t set on being an ATP instructor as my goal was ILG but that has closed. I’ve thought about it longer and wouldn’t be opposed to TTN if it was available. I’d also like to do the TAA if that was open (I have a feeling ATP is eventually going to make it a regional spot with the amount of students and them still doing it literally up to the Checkride date) but I would miss out on students trying to kill me as that would be all commercial applicants.

Outside of that the goal is to keep honing the craft and working to the airlines. Maybe spend some time with the wife and kids who have dealt with me being going 80% of the time and being home just to sleep lol

4 Likes

Congrats, Tom!