This is my situation

I’m still in school at the late age of 27. I’m still in the process of getting my medical certificate. Once that’s done - I’ll have my associates realistically in the next year or a tad more. Say I have both am I looking to be at a regional for a decade then a major or is it taking most people long in the flow through programs. Are there benefits to staying at a regional?

1 Like

James,

Most people are getting to a Major in about 5-7yrs these days (even less if you have a 4yr degree, could be more or never without).

I know a few people who have stayed with their Regional. Salaries have come up considerably and since there’s such movement you can gain seniority (and all the benefits that includes) fairly rapidly. The downside is the Regionals don’t sell there own tickets and are therefore subject to the whims of their Major partners. Xjt and Comair come to mind. Both were great airlines for decades until their Major partners pulled their flying and they were forced to shut almost overnight leaving many senior pilots with no where to go. Honestly that’s one of the main reasons I left. The volatility of it.

Adam

1 Like

James,

We still strongly recommend that people get their bachelor’s degrees. An associate’s degree is really only considered to be a half way their certificate as far as the airlines are concerned. I do not mean this to sound snarky, just telling you the truth. An associates will do nothing to advance your career, a bachelor’s degree will.

I see very little benefit to staying at a regional. The pay is less than at the majors and the stability is just not the same. I always recommend applying to the majors if possible.

Chris

1 Like

James,

I recommend you finish your associates, pursue flight training and building time. Then once you’re at a regional finish those last 2 years of credits so by the time you meet hiring mins for the majors you also have a bachelors degree.

“Lifers” who stay at the regionals have very specific reasons why… they may live in an odd base that only that regional operates from, built up too much seniority and quality of life to start over, or tried and never got an interview. Now that the pay is better, the incentive is higher to stay. However, the pilot shortage is hitting the regionals harder than anywhere else. Add that to an already volatile and fragile business model… it’s a risk the longer you stay.

Hannah

1 Like

Thanks for Your time guys!

I want to do Embry riddle worldwide as my college option. Would the majors like that?

James,

ER is a fine school but the Majors really don’t care or “like” any particular school. As long as it’s a legit, accredited college it’s fine.

Adam

1 Like

Thx that’s helpful to hear loved the answer as likely that’s the answer I’ll keep getting to

James,

Embry Riddle is a well respected school. The majors should appreciate a degree from them, butt hey will from any properly accredited college.

Chris

1 Like

Thx!