Tough Checkrides

I’m curious with all the experience in this forum, what checkride was the most challenging for any of you (excluding new hire checkrides)?

Absolutely the instrument checkride. Instrument flying requires very precise flying and is simply a lot of work, particularly in smaller airplanes.

1 Like

I agree with Chris. My instrument checkride wasn’t terrible, but having to set up, brief, and execute three approaches within a short time span and no AP to mitigate work load is a challenge. Add bumpy air to the mix and you got a fun day :wink:.

1 Like

My Commercial Multi-Engine checkride was the most difficult for me. I think that was mostly due to the DPE’s thoroughness. He commented on how impressed he was with my knowledge and preparation, but the oral portion still went for 4 hours, which I’m still not sure I understand. :rofl:

The initial CFI checkride (MEI for me) was the most grueling, but that was simply due to the amount of information that was required to be covered. It was a long day.

1 Like

Jason,

CFI initial. 4hr oral where EVERYTHING is fair game.

Adam

1 Like

Private/Instrument all in one oral and one flight. It’s the bulk of info that sets the foundation for your pilot skills, so it was a long one (and I had no experience with checkrides at this point). I also had a “legendary” DPE who used to be an interrogator in the military - so that just added to the fun!

1 Like

Jordan,

I forgot that we used to do the combined checkrides like that. That is one serious checkride.

Chris

1 Like

Private for me just cause my oral was almost four hours long plus an almost three hour flight, got there at 7 am. Just a rough day lol. Have my commercial on Monday so who knows I might update this! Haha

1 Like

MEI. My private pilot foundation was weak. Made the oral portion harder than it needed to be. Should have held myself accountable from day one.

Tory

1 Like