Training Location?

I was on ATP’s website and was looking through some of the locations, and was wondering since I will be taking the extra 100-hour multi-engine to add on, should I train at a location that already has the CFI academy at that airport since I am also planning to become a CFI as part of the program. I guess what my question is: should I train at the same airport that offers both the 100-hour add-on and the CFI academy as well as any additional training. or should I try to diversify where I train? like if I were going to train at Ft. Meyers (FMY) I would have to go somewhere else to get the rest of my add-ons.

Or should I train in Dallas (GKY) which offers just about every certificate and extra training?

I live in Ohio so the nearest training location is like a three-hour drive so I would have to move right now I’m just looking for locations that would work best for me. I also plan on paying for student housing so moving from location to location wouldn’t be a big deal but wanted to know your opinion.
Thanks,
Gabe

Gabriel,

If it were me I would at least go to a location that does its own multi engine training. If it also does CFI training, that’s a bonus, but not a deal breaker as many students are already airlined to/from CFI school.

Tory

4 Likes

Gabe,

Choose the location that’s most convenient for you or you simply like best. Personally I like the diversity of locations to get you out of your comfort zone. The fact is as a professional pilot you’ll be flying to unfamiliar airports for much of your career. This is why when you go to recurrent sim training you’ll rarely find yourself at a hub.

Further even if you don’t like the idea there’s no guarantee you’ll attend CFI training at your home airport. Depending on availability you may still be sent elsewhere.

This really isn’t something to over think.

Adam

2 Likes

Gabriel,

You will get plenty of diversity during the cross country phase of your program. I really would not over think this. I would just pick the location that is most convenient for you and not give it much more thought beyond that.

Chris

2 Likes

That’s exactly how I chose my location! Only stipulation for me was as a 172 guy jumping into Commercial I didn’t want to transition to the Archer in the middle of a fast-paced program so that left me with Denver and Phoenix as my options :slight_smile: If you have to move anyways pick a place that’s got CFI school/Multi, and once you narrow those down I guess pick somewhere you wanna live for a bit :wink: There’s nothing necessarily “wrong” with moving for CFI academy but I’ve certainly appreciated the stability of staying in the same apartment throughout the entirety of my training and not having to move for CFI academy.

Good luck!

1 Like

thank you, gentlemen, for your insight. The only reason I wanted to look into this was that I had been reading about other students having to change locations to finish training. Since I have quite a bit of time before I start ATP, I just wanted to get my “ducks in a row” and learn as much as I can before starting.
Adam, I didn’t even think about CFI training availability at the locations, that would certainly make change things a bit.

so as a follow-up, out of curiosity, question because there are fewer locations ATP within that offer CFI training would it be a good idea to train where there isn’t CFI training since that location is likely to be busier as far as housing, air-traffic, etc…

Gabe

Gabriel,

Whether a location has an ATP CFI school or not will not have a dramatic impact on the traffic at the airport and the company plans accordingly with their housing. The student experience really should be very similar from one location to the next.

Chris

1 Like

Gabe,

Seriously you’re overthinking this. The training takes 9mos and the CFI portion is only about a month. Further whether they do CFI training or not may or may not affect how busy a location is and like everything else it can vary.

Choose a location that works for you for whatever reason you like (weather, convenience, “I always wanted to check out…”) but don’t go crazy thinking about it.

Adam

1 Like

Adam is spot on here.

But yea I would highly recommend picking a location w/ CFI school but don’t sweat it if you find you can’t afford the city/would HATE living there. Pick somewhere else then :wink:

Don’t overthink it, have fun with your training!

yeah, I just looking forward to going to ATP.
I agree with you Adam that I am way overthinking this. I guess I’m just a prepper.
Anyway thanks, everyone for answering my questions, and sorry for not responding soon. I am soooooo ready for finals week at college to be over with! also like an update on school, I almost have my associates in GIS, so about halfway there.
Gabe

Gabriel,

I think regardless of the location you go to, you’ll find a standardized program…no matter where a student trains, we all get the same quality, just different human beings. For my CFI Academy experience, I liked being shipped elsewhere to a new area, being able to see new things and meet new people who I am now good friends with and talk to regularly.

Best of luck with your finals! I remember those days as if they were just a few years ago. :wink:

Brady

1 Like

thanks, Brady. the finals went well I’m just enjoying the break from school now.

Also congrats on making it to the CFI instrument!
Gabe

1 Like