Training Supplements

Hello,
So last week I got my box of flight training material shipped to me. It includes the PTS, FAA manuals, and ATP Training Supplements. So here is my question. The manuals say to memorize all V-Speeds, systems descriptions, and answers to the oral review in the back of the supplement. I wrote up a Word document will Q’s and A’s for each oral review, and do have a lot committed to memory. My struggle seems to be with the V-Speeds. Each aircraft has very different numbers, and keeping them straight in my head from plane to plane is difficult, especially with not actually flying the physical plane, and having the muscle memory of performing procedures. How exactly did you guys prepare when it came to these supplements? What is the best method to memorize all speeds, systems, and profiles for each specific aircraft? Part of me thinks ATP wants you simply to be familiar, as it is difficult to retain information mentally when you are not yet flying the planes, for example, spending a ton of time memorizing word for word every maneuver profile.

So what approach did you guys take when you received all the supplements? I’m trying to think up a study strategy that works so far out from my start date (June 26). I’m already set to take my IRA written and want to knock a few more out. Also, I assume that the C-172 will be the first aircraft I fly, as I will be taking the 40 hr Multi track. Seems like that would be the one to have freshest in the mind.

Hey Jesse,

First of all, don’t stress it too much. You will learn everything during training, and yes it will be easier to store all this information once you get in the airplane. Once you do that a few times, everything seems to fall into place.

The main purpose of preparing all this stuff ahead of time is to save you the trouble during the program when you will be trying to cram a million other things. Try as much as you can to memorize the supplement, but don’t feel like its a prerequisite for training or something. If anything, I recommend focusing more on the IRA and FII to get them out of the way before you start.

Yarden

Yarden,

Thanks for the reply. When I did my PPL training I used to stress a lot over lots of ground study and my CFI used to always tell me it was a waste of time until I started flying on a weekly or bi-weekly basis. I didn’t completely agree with him and still liked to put some time into the books, but like you said, once you get in the plane, info just kinda clicks. But yeah, I want to be as familiar with this stuff as possible.

Jonah,

With your start date being so far away I would not worry about aircraft systems or V speeds for the time being. I would really recommend focusing on the written exams and trying to get as many of those out of the way with as possible. Two weeks or so before your start date I would switch gears to the airplanes, their systems and limitations, but right now your focus should really be on the written exams. With five months to go you should be able to finish every written exam prior to your start date.

For the aircraft limitations and speeds I prefer to use flash cards to study. They are cheap and easy to make and are a great way to really cement the information into your memory.

Chris