Training Timeline at KCOS

KCOS Students & Instructors,

What is the ACTUAL training timeline, start to finish, for obtaining all of following ratings at KCOS (assume an average student performance):

1. PPL
  2. Instrument
  3. Commercial SE
  4. Commercial ME
  5. CFI
  6. CFII
  7. MEFI

Again, I would like to know the REAL WORLD timeline. What timeline have students at KCOS actually and specifically been able to achieve?

And can all of those ratings be obtained at KCOS?

Thank you for your help!

Matt,

Regardless of where you train, ALL ATP locations follow the same timeline (as attached). This timeline is REALWORLD and is based on 40 decades of training pilots for the airlines.

All your training will be done at your selected location with the exception of the Crew and CFI phases. During Crew you’ll build time and experience by flying to other ATP locations and your CFI training will be done at one of the training academy locations.

Adam

I always tell people it can take -1 month to + 3 months of what is advertised based off factors effecting your personal journey. (For budget planning).

Expect this the rest of your career in aviation. Everyone’s situation is unique, lots of variables can cause changes. Atp does a good job of averaging this out.

Chris F

Matt,

ATP’s ACPP is standardized so no matter which location you attend, you will receive the same training as someone that is on the other side of the states. The timeline that you attached and is advertised on ATP’s website is followed. There are external factors that we as humans can’t control such as weather and DPE availability, or if a student needs additional training - so maybe you need an extra week or month.

You will be away at one of ATP’s CFI locations for your CFI academy. During Crew you can expect to fly to various locations and be away from base for a few days at a time. This is to build real world experience and decision making of you and your partner.

Brady

1 Like

Gents,

Thank you for your responses! All very helpful information. Do you or does anyone in this community know anyone who has trained at KCOS recently (within the last 1-3 years) and achieved the 6-10 month completion timeline from start (zero hours) to finish (all of the ratings listed in the OP)?

I would very much like to speak with someone who is currently training at KCOS or has recently completed their training at KCOS, if possible.

Cheers!

Matt,

I would suggest you contact Admissions tomorrow morning and schedule a training center at Colorado Springs to speak with current student/instructors at that specific location. All instructors are former students at ATP that have completed the program and instructor indoc.

Brady

Matt,

Brady’s right. Your best bet is to schedule a visit and speak to people face to face. Most ATP students are wayyyy too busy to come on the forum.

That said, you seem for some reason to doubt the timeline? I’m not sure why that is. ATP has literally trained thousands of pilots. If they were lying or even exaggerating the results the word would be out by now.

Adam

Will do, Brady! Thanks again for your advice.

Adam, relative to other locations KCOS tends to have some additional weather limitations. I’m also wondering if there are staffing or aircraft limitations at KCOS that may constrain the expedience of the process.

Matt,

Every location has their own unique weather challenges, they all present in different ways, but they are there. ATP takes this into account when deciding whether or not to open a location in a certain area.

The staffing and aircraft ratios at COS are nearly the same as they are anywhere else in the system. ATP uses the same formula for all locations and sets instructors, aircraft, and students accordingly.

Chris

Matt,

With all due respect ATP has over 70 locations. Sure KCOS gets some snow but you ever seen the T-storms in the Gulf during the summer? Ice storms in in the NE? The Pacific NW can get socked in for weeks.

Long short Chris is right, EVERY location has its challenges.

Adam

Gents,

Thank you for sharing your passion for and knowledge of the ATP system. As a flight test engineer for the USAF with experience conducting flight test around the world, I can appreciate the wx & mx challenges that different locations present. Your answers helped me understand more about what ATP does to level the playing field across different ATP locations. I look forward to speaking with COS staff tomorrow.

Take care!

Matt,

Glad we could be of assistance, please let us know if you have any questions. I hope you are able to get into the Colorado Springs training center soon and get to talk with current students and instructors.

Brady

Matt,

Glad you can stop by the COS location and talk to current students and staff. They can help provide more insight for their unique experiences, however, every students experience is different. If a student fails a stage eval, that sets off extra flights for retraining which can then push a Checkride, etc. So one student may tell you they finished a month late when in reality, that was their own doing.

As a former instructor and lead, I can assure you that the primary goal is to get students through the program successfully and on time. If weather or planes in Mx sets their student back, it’s the instructors job to catch them back up. If there was a pattern of students not finishing on time in a certain location, ATP wouldn’t continue training students there. The cost of the program is to deliver on both quality training, fixed budget and set timeline.

Hannah

Thank you, Hannah & Brady!

I really appreciate you taking the time to add your perspective and knowledge. I am set up for an admission flight this Saturday and was able to get in touch with the COS TSS. One step closer! Looking forward to flying with you guys someday soon.

-Matt

Matt,

Please let us know how the admissions flight goes. Do remember that this flight is about you evaluating ATP and ATP seeing if you are a good learner. There is no expectation for you to fly to any certain standard. Just be open to learning and enjoy the flight.

Chris

1 Like

All,

The admissions flight was amazing! Flying bug is confirmed :slight_smile: Can’t wait to get started! Thank you for all of your help and advice thus far.

Happy Holidays!

Matt,

Glad things went well. So when you starting your training?

Adam

Matt,

Love hearing the flying bug has bit! What is next for you, any plans on starting soon?

Brady

Matt,

I am so glad to hear that the flight went well for you. Please let us know when you schedule a start date, or if you have any other questions.

Chris