Travelling Abroad while at ATP

I’m planning on starting college in a couple of years and one of the majors I’m interested in (International Business) requires you to study abroad for a semester. Since I’m planning on doing the ATP Flex Track while in college, would ATP allow me to do this? Or will I have to pick another major that doesn’t require you to study abroad? Thanks

1 Like

Imran,

Even the Flex Track Program has minimum flight time requirements: https://atpflightschool.com/airline-career-pilot-program/flex-track-airline-career-pilot-program.html

But as with all other Admissions questions, call them for an official answer.

Tory

Imran,

As Tory said it’s best to ask admin BUT since there’s a monthly flight time requirement and the duration is approx 18mos, I think it’s safe to say you’d need to do your semester abroad either prior to or after your ATP enrollment.

Adam

Imran,

I would imagine that your study abroad phase is only a semester or two. I would either start ATP after that or make sure to have it done before hand.

Chris

1 Like

Thanks for the feedback. Unfortunately, it’s not possible for me to do it after or before doing ATP. I’ll major in something like Finance. Thanks for the advice!

Imran,

If it’s only one semester abroad why would that be a problem?

Adam

One semester is 3 months long.

Imran,

And college takes 4yrs and ATP takes 18mos…

Adam

The problem is that there is a minimum flight time requirement every month, so I can’t take 3 months off to travel abroad for my college degree.

Imran,

The Flex Track program will not take all four years, it takes 18 months. You are correct in that you will not be able to take three months off while in ATP’s Fast Track program. Thus, As I stated earlier, you will need to complete ATP’s program either before or after the study abroad portion of your college education.

Chris

Imran,

Let’s see if we can’t break this down:
4yrs of college = 8 semesters
Start ATP Year 1 1st Sem: go abroad any semester after the 3rd is complete.
Go abroad the 1st Year and train with ATP any semester or year after that year.
In either scenario you can continue to push either the travel or ATP with plenty of room to spare.

Adam

I see what you mean, but I’ll have to see if I can study abroad in my first year of college. Thanks

Don’t I also have to be a CFI after those 2 years to build hours or is that included in the 2 years?

Imran,

The 18 months of the Flex Track will get you your licenses and the ability to be a CFI, but you will need to be a CFI for roughly an additional two years before you are eligible to be hired by the airlines. You will not be able to work as a CFI at ATP while also attending college. An ATP CFI is a full time position.

Chris

So I’ll need to do things like banner towing to build hours after those 18 months? Or could I find a part time CFI job?

Imran,

Yes. You could instruct part time, find another entry level flying gig or simply wait to your last year and a half to train with ATP. We’re just trying to tell you there are options.

Adam

Thanks for the feedback!

Just chiming in to say that studying abroad is a great life experience. If you have the opportunity to do it, I highly recommend not letting it pass by. You will have plenty of time afterwards to do your flight training.

That’s something I regret not doing to be honest. I didn’t realize how little time I would have after graduation.

Ok I will consider that