My husband is about to start CFI academy and is obviously super busy studying. I’m just trying to get some ideas for the near future so I’m hoping to get some advice from you all.
We’re currently in the PNW where we own our condo, no kids, but 3 pets. He is doing the fast track program and I am a flight attendant based locally trying to support us while using as little savings as possible.
He is 33 and we both want him to get everything done as quick and safe as possible. When it comes to becoming a CFI (assuming he can obtain a position) is it best for both of us to relocate to the first available location? I don’t think we could afford to keep our place and him rent a room elsewhere plus loan repayments and I do have the option of commuting. Or should he put our home location first? Sorry I know this is probably an individual question, but I’m feeling a little overwhelmed at all of the possibilities and also don’t want to distract him too much til we know more. Thank you for any guidance
You have a few options. ATP allows graduates to be placed at the first available location or to be placed at one of their top three preferred locations.
If it were me, I would take first available, but I would also apply to every other flight school in the PNW. If that doesn’t work, then I would still take the first available location. Once placed he will still have the opportunity to place a transfer request to his preferred location in hopes that a spot becomes available.
I know that this transition can be a bit nerve wracking. Unfortunately aviation always requires sacrifices to be made.
As you say this is a very personal decision. If it were me I’d request a location close to home and also start putting out some feelers at other flight schools in the area. Personally I’d be reluctant to uproot my life and my wife for an instructor gig. Once he gets hired at an airline that’s something else but not to instruct.
Thank you. At what point is it appropriate to start talking to flight schools about instructor positions?
Willing to sacrifice, just trying to put the puzzle pieces together and get some input. Thanks for your suggestions.
It’s never a bad idea to introduce one’s self and start making connections but I wouldn’t start to early as it’s bound to lead to the “why aren’t you doing your training here conversation?” which generally never turns out good. I’d wait till he’s far enough into the process where he can a) be too much invested to have that convo and b) be able to speak intelligently about flying and instructing.
From an ATP perspective, I would recommend taking the first available position that opens up. There could be a significant wait for his home location, or it might be available right away, there is really no way to tell.
I am with Adam, I would wait to talk to other flight schools until your husband is fully qualified.
I think it depends on how easily you’re able to relocate. If you bought your house and the open location is somewhere that would be difficult for you to commute to work from, than maybe you’re best to stay put and he gets a job there locally. Could take a bit longer but would be the best fit for your life right now. If you’re feeling pretty flexible, moving could open up a job for him faster.