Type Rating/Age

Are there age restrictions for getting a type rating, or flying a gulfstream and/or citation?

Does 23 years of age and an ATP only apply for 121/ Airlines?

As a 19 year old, could I theoretically get a type rating for a gulfstream and fly for a part 91 management company?

Or is 23 still the earliest age, just like the airlines and 121.

Thanks,
Jake

Jake,

There is no age requirement for a Type rating. The 121 age requirements are not for any Type rating, they’re for holding an ATP certificate. Problem you’ll have is many Part 91 operators will require an ATP for insurance purposes but you could fly as SIC without.

Adam

Adam thanks,

Does that SIC without a ATP give me TT time toward my 1500 if I ever wanted to pursue the airlines and 121 down the road. It’s a grey area I have come across when it comes to SIC flying. Tell me if I am wrong, but SIC DOES count toward TT if a first officer is required, yet if it operates under one pilot and is a single pilot plane, SIC cannot be logged therefore it cannot count towards TT for 1500 and an ATP. Is that correct if you can grasp what I am saying?

Are SIC requirements based on the plane, crew, company, etc?

Thanks,
Jake

Jake,

It’s really not that grey. You can only log SIC time if a) you’re flying an aircraft that requires 2 pilots, or b) the “operation” requires 2 pilots (ie, operation is certified for 2 pilots (certain commercial ops), instrument flying with the 2nd pilot acting as a “safety pilot”, etc). If that’s the case, yes your time will count towards your TT.

Keep in mind the 1500hr rule isn’t just a box to check, it’s there for you to build skill and experience. Even if you find a 91 gig that requires 2 pilots and you can log the time, if the entire time you’re just loading bags and swinging gear it really isn’t going to make you a better pilot which will be evident when you go to airline training.

Adam

Jake,

Many corporate operators fly single pilot Citation jets with two pilots because their insurance requires it. I would argue that because the manufacturer does not require two pilots, nor does the FAA, that SIC time in this case would not be able to be logged in any form.

Chris

Jake,

As the others have said, theoretically yes. You could get a type rating at any age. But most corporate jobs require an ATP because of insurance purposes. If you find any jobs that offer type ratings without an ATP, you want to double and triple check that it’s legal to log the time. If you’re curious, look up the FAA dispute in to logging time for SIC at boutique air.

Hannah

Jake,

Corporate/Charter employers require an ATP type-rating and “thousands of hours” to help subside the insurance and policies they have set. If said employers hired a freshly minted commercial multi-engine pilot, their insurance premium would skyrocket and only cause more of a ‘headache’ and less pay that you could receive.

Also, you did not mention… are you a 19-year-old with a commercial certificate, or prospect pilot? Siding with no certificate, it will take you approximately 7 months (following ATP’s timeline) and until you built enough time to get hired by a company of interest, probably a year [minimum] unless you had some wild connections.

Brady