University Major for Airline Pilot

16 year old here. I know that it’s necessary to get a Bachelor’s degree to fly for a major airline, but will doing an aviation major in college really improve my chances of getting into a major airline? I hear two sides of the story. Do a major in college unrelated to aviation so that you have a back up plan in case you lose your medical. However, on the contrary I hear that you need to do an Aviation related major in college to have a good shot at being hired by a major airline. Which path is better? Thanks

My plan is to do the American Airlines Cadet Academy then get a degree online while I’m at the regionals. I will still apply to colleges if I don’t get accepted into the cadet program, I’m just not sure if I should do an Aviation related major or not.

Imran,

Please check out the FAQ section as there is a detailed answer to your question there.

Chris

Imran,

As Chris said, please visit our FAQ section but the short answer is no. You absolutely do not need an aviation degree nor will it help you get hired by a Major. However, if you don’t get your degree till after your actually flying, it’s much easier to get an aviation degree as you can get credits for your licenses and ratings.

Adam

Quick question, is it a wise idea to get a aviation degree and a a&p mechanic licenses as a backup? Thx

Thanks

Gloria,

Yes to the A&P. It’s not necessary, but if it’s something you ACTUALLY want to do then yes that would be a good backup. No to the aviation degree. While it meets the degree requirement that most majors are looking for, we always recommend earning your degree in something other an aviation. However, if getting an aviation degree works better for your situation, it’s better than no degree at all.

Tory

Gloria,

I disagree with getting an A&P license. You will have two certifications essentially in the same industry. In a downturn, both careers could be affected. Plus, getting an A&P license will take time and considerable amounts of money.

Chris

In a downturn, yes. If you lose your medical, it would still be nice to have. Are there better backup plans? Yes. That’s why, Gloria, I emphasized “ACTUALLY.”

Tory