Update from the NW

Just wanted to chime in and give a quick update in between some studying.

A quick background. I have spent the last 12 years in Pharmacy, before that I was an electrician, and an Air Force Munitions Journeyman after high school. I was hesitant about starting a new career at 44, but after listening to the mentors and others on this website, I realized it is possible. I did my research, asked questions, read experiences, then made the decision to become an professional pilot.

I obtained my loan and have a class date of 4/18/2022 at the Glendale Airport in Arizona. I live in Seattle, but the weather will prolong my training and I wanted a location where I could focus on training without distraction. This will be like an 8 month deployment for me (for those of you veterans)

I started studying for the Private Pilot Knowledge Exam using the Gleim Handbook and the Sporty’s Course. (Passed in Jan.) I took the advice of the mentors and used Sheppard Air to study for the Instrument Rating Exam (IRA) and took it with the Flight Instructor Instrument (FII). Happy to say, passed both this weekend. I have received my box of books and polo’s from ATP along with access to the King’s Coursework. I will be using Sheppard Air to study for the Commercial Knowledge Exam (CAX) but putting priority on the coursework from ATP.

A few words of advice to anyone thinking about becoming an airline pilot. First, listen to the mentors on this site. There is plenty of information on every type of circumstance available. Second, ask questions. There are pilots on this website from every aspect, those starting training to Captains, and everywhere in between. If they don’t know an answer, they will find it quickly.

To the mentors on this site, Chris, Tory, Adam, and Hannah, a huge thank you! I want to add Brady Fries as well!

Now back to studying

2 Likes

Angel,

Thank you for the update. I am glad that you are following our advice and am sure that you will do well. With six weeks to go, you should have plenty of time to finish the writtens and really get a head start on the studying. This will serve you well in the program.

Thank you for your kind words regarding the forum and the mentors on here. There is no better way to say thank you than to come back and post pictures when you pass check rides! That always puts a smile on my face.

Please keep the updates coming and let us know if you have any questions at all.

Chris

1 Like

Angel,
Wow, look at you! Nice work. You’re already showing the commitment it takes to be successful in the program. Awesome job knocking out so many written exams. You will thank yourself later for that.
Thanks for the kind words. We love what we do…Getting to help people on their journey to becoming airline pilots. Please keep us updated on your first day, first solo, etc.
-Hannah

1 Like

Angel,

Thank you for your kind words and the update. You pretty much nailed what needs to be done and it’s clearly working for you.

Keep up the good work and keep us posted.

Adam

1 Like

Hi Angel!

As a mentor it is always nice to hear that what we do is not only appreciated, but also helpful.

We do dedicate a lot of our time to this forum. It’s nice to see when people make an active decision based on our guidance. It appears that you’ve made some serious headway at that.

You will be well prepared entering the program. Good job and thanks again!

Tory

1 Like

Just wanted to give a quick update. Passed my CAX with a 96%. I know there are only 2 more exams, but I will be focusing more on ATP coursework, since I am about 4 weeks away from my start date of 4/18. Thank to all the mentors for the sound advice. Have a great week everyone!

1 Like

Nice job!!

For what it’s worth, the last two are super simple. The FIA is very similar to the CAX, and the question bank for FOI is around 500 questions and the questions are all pretty similar. I got those two done in about 5 days and scored upper 90s on both.

You’re in for a wild ride come April 18th!
Good luck!!

2 Likes

Angel,

Congrats on the scores! That is awesome, the head start you are getting already should make you feel accomplished. Banging out those writtens now only gives you more time to really focus on learning to fly the airplane and preparing for the checkride.

You could get both the FIA and FOI knocked out right before your start date. I couldn’t recommend anything else at this point.

Brady

Good job, Angel!

I am impartial. Technically you have plenty of time to finish the last two tests, but I also completely understand if you would prefer to enjoy this last month before the program because you are about to be extremely busy.

You should be proud of your hard work. Don’t forget to redeem your ForeFlight subscription:

Tory

2 Likes

Thanks for the great advice, but I have a question as well. I heard that the FIA and the AGI is very similar, should I take those at the same time?

thanks Brady!

Angel,

I waited to take the AGI last year after starting at ATP as an Instructor and seeing similar questions as those that were on the FIA, I don’t see the issue with taking them together.

Brady

Awesome, I will wait. (its a $175 to take the test) Thanks for the advice.