Very Sad News

It’s with the heaviest of hearts that I share the saddest of news. My friend Capt Bob Moyer, ATP grad and one of the creators of this forum, ExpressJet Capt/CheckAirman, Union Leader and American Airlines First Officer was killed earlier today in a motorcycle accident.

I met Bob a million years ago when he invited me to join this forum as a mentor (something like 18yrs ago). We became very good friends through our mutual love of airplanes and motorcycles. While I always hate when people use the clichés, Bob literally always had a smile on his face. He was a devoted husband and father of three beautiful daughters, a stauch Union advocate for his pilots and oversaw the day in and out of this forum (ie, keeping me in check). Bob lived in Dallas and commuted to Houston and would often call me in Hawaii on his drive in the middle of the night as I was the only one awake. Bob finally got his dream job at AA just a few months ago after 18yrs at XJT. I will deeply miss Bob as he truly was one of finest men I’ve ever known.

I appreciate most of you who read this never knew Bob, but if you’ve benefited at all or see value in this forum, you owe Bob a thank you.

Me and Bob
Me and Bob in the Diamond Jet mock up at an ATP event many years ago.

Adam

11 Likes

I worked with Bob on the 142 side and he was always a gentleman. I hate to hear stories like this, since I am a daily rider myself.

Bob was the consummate gentleman and truly an inspiration to future pilots. I am very grateful to him for helping to establish this online community and providing his vision. This website exists today because of Bob.

Bob came to our alumni event in 2019, I never would have thought that it would be the last time I would see him. We lost a true pilot and friend to all future pilots.

Hight Flight

by John Gillespie Magee

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;
Sunward I’ve climbed, and joined the tumbling mirth
Of sun-split clouds, – and done a hundred things
You have not dreamed of – wheeled and soared and swung
High in the sunlit silence. Hov’ring there,
I’ve chased the shouting wind along, and flung
My eager craft through footless halls of air…

Up, up the long, delirious burning blue
I’ve topped the wind-swept heights with easy grace
Where never lark, or ever eagle flew –
And, while with silent, lifting mind I’ve trod
The high untrespassed sanctity of space,
Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.

3 Likes