Week 1 at KIWA

Just completed my 1st week at Phoenix/Mesa ATP. Many words come to mind but one is WOW. There is a ton of information that must be processed quickly. ATP does a great job at providing resources and time to help every student. Here at KIWA, we have many types of simulators that can be utilized for practice after lessons. One week ago, I was compounding IVs for a hospital pharmacy and helping patients feel better. This week I made my first landing in the simulators, and honestly, the pride of accomplishment is a great feeling. There is plenty more I could say, but there is plenty to read this weekend and many, many checklists to memorize!
A piece of advice, that ALL the mentors have mentioned before, there is no free time at all. There is always something to read, memorize, or practice! I would definitely not recommend trying to work while in this program. It will require more time than you think. Well, now I have spent to much time writing, Time to go back and chair fly for my TOLs this coming week. Lastly, thank you to all the mentors for preparing me for what is expected at ATP! Soft Landings and blue skies

2 Likes

Angel,

Thanks for the update and the kind words. You’ve got a great attitude which will serve you well. Keep up the good work and keep us posted.

Adam

1 Like

Angel,

Thank you for the update, it seems like you are adjusting to your new life well. Please keep the updates coming.

Chris

Angel,

Sounds like you’re doing it right so far! Chair fly, chair fly, chair fly! You’ll solo will be here before you know it!

Hannah

1 Like

Angel,

Welcome aboard! Sounds like week 1 went well. Use the simulators as much as you can during your training, it will benefit you in the long run. I always highly recommend for students that I do maneuver flights (in the first week) with to always be staying ahead and using the simulator during TOLs for maneuvers to enhance their flow and repetition for when they get into the plane.

Brady

1 Like

Hey there I am actually in a similar situation. I graduated pharmacy school and I don’t like pharmacy, my dream was to become a pilot and fly and be in the air… is it possible to chat with you or speak to you? To find out about your experience? Thank you

Ask anything. We can chat on this forum, so if anyone else is going through something similar, they can read along and ask questions

2 Likes

How did you transition from pharmacy to atp program? It’s just I have lot of student loans already and financial burdens? But I still want to do something that will make me happy and enjoy what I do? Also after your 1st week is it tougher than pharmacy school ?
Thank You :blush:

First week was about as tough as Pharmacy school, maybe a bit easier. ATP provides a lot of resources to help students succeed, unlike pharmacy school where they expect the students to keep up. So far best decision I have ever made. Pharmacy has just changed to much. Used to be about helping patients and the community, not it’s a numbers game, more scripts, push flu shots, get everyone vaccinated, work more! I was definitely unhappy about the direction of my career. ATP is a great fit, lots to learn but resources are here, just ask!

Angel,

I am glad the first week went well and that you are finding the resources to be plentiful. Thanks for the update.

Chris

Chris
There are plenty of simulators here at KIWA! It’s very easy for an instructor to show you how to use it and you can get extra sim time! As in life, everything is what you make of it. Free sim time is the best! Any instructor is willing to answer questions, if your instructor is not around or you need a different perspective! ATP is really set up to help you succeed. When I was in school, it was up to me to keep up and hope I understood a concept or lecture, here at ATP, everyone has the same goal, safety, understanding, and good flights.

You have that right it’s all about corporate profits pharmacist & staff work to do so many tasks all at once, worst than fast food chains. But yes pharmacy is all about profits and not about patients, that’s why I chose the career but it’s a burn out and it’s really sad. Thank you for your reply.

1 Like

Ricky, I feel ya there. I’m a RN and feel that admin just wants us to do more and more with less each time. Meanwhile they always seem to have/find the money to give themselves raises or find management positions for their friends. Caring about the patient only goes about as far as needed not to catch a lawsuit. (Just my 2 cents)

1 Like

The burnout is real

1 Like

Yes it is! I’ve know a few nurses (and other healthcare workers) that are leaving the field.