What college major

Hi my name is Rafi and I am 16 years old. I live in Minnesota. I had some questions about my college degree. So I know that the major airlines requires a degree. So is the degree a 2 year degree or a 4 year degree? Another question is when I go to college what major should I be focusing on? physics or math? One last thing is that I have glasses and I heard people say that if you have glasses then you can’t be a pilot? is that true?

Rafi,

Al posted a great article but the short answers are you need a 4yr Bachelor’s degree. The field of study doesn’t matter. Choose something you enjoy and could be a backup should flying not without. Finally as long as your vision is correctable to 20/20 you’re good.

Adam

thank you for the info. Also How tall do you have to be to be accepted because I am not that tall but I am working on it.:grin: I did some research and found out that you have to be at least 5’7 to be pilot.

Rafi,

That’s not true, for pilots in the US at least. As long as you can reach the controls you’re fine.

Tory

got it thank you. so after I am done with ATP what if I want to work for airlines like emirates or etihad airlines? is that by any chance possible?

Rafi,

Again I recommend you visit the FAQ section as we outline the process of getting to an airline. You will not be anywhere near ready for ANY airline after ATP. You need to build the required flight time to get hired at a Regional. After that it’s a matter of building more time and experience until you meet the requirements of the Major you want to work for. IF that happens (no guarantees) you’re probably talking as least 6yrs from when you finish your training.

Adam

Rafi,

I suggest you reach out to the Emirates and Etihad recruiting departments. The transition is not that easy. The ratings that you will receive from ATP are issued by the FAA which only allow you to exercise flying privileges in the US. Flying in another country will require you to convert your FAA licenses to that countries equivalent of the FAA. Also, Emirates and Etihad may have height requirements, among other requirements, but I don’t know what they all are.

Tory