What did you get your bachelors in? Does having an unrelated degree matter?

I’m a junior in high school and am very interested in becoming a pilot, but am not sure I want to get an aerospace engineering degree (its the only related degree offered at the university i’ll be going to). I’m much more interested in a Physical Education degree for various reasons irrelevant to the point (but if you find it to be relevant I can say why, just don’t want to clutter my question). What’s your degree? If it’s unrelated to being a pilot, was it harder to find a desired position because of it? Is it possible to become a pilot with an entirely unrelated degree?

Thanks so much for taking the time to read this and help people out. Happy travels.

Louis,

The airlines want a degree but they don’t care as to your field of study.

I recommend you take a look at our FAQ section as you’ll find a detailed answer to this and many other commonly asked questions.

Adam

Louis,

My degree is in business administration, I did not have any difficulty in getting a pilot job because of this.

The major airlines want to see a four year degree, they are not concerned with what the field of study is. In fact, we usually recommend getting a degree in a field other than aviation as it gives you something else to fall back on should you ever need to.

Chris

Louis,

I received my degree in Communication Studies (switched from aerospace engineering actually). Check out the FAQ section. You’ll quickly learn that we are all advocates of earning your degree in ANY unrelated field to serve as your backup plan.

Tory

Thank you for responding! Sorry, I had a hard time navigating stuff and just saw the big “new topic” button, I’ll make sure to check out the FAQ. Thank you again so much for responding sir!

Thank you for responding! I really appreciate the input. That really clears things up for me. Thanks again.

Hello Adam! Thank you so much for taking the time to respond. I’m sorry, I had a bit of trouble navigating the site. I’ll make sure to check out the FAQ. Thank you for answering anyways! Sorry to take up your time with something that’s already been answered.