What if I have my ppl and only 40 to 50 hrs?

Hello everyone I tried searching for some answers to save from a repeat thread with no luck. Here is my question I am currently going through the process of getting my ppl so I can save some money off the cost of ATP school, I plan on attending in a year or so and feel that I will be able to get my private but not sure about having 80 hrs by then. Will I still have to start from zero time even if I have my ppl? Or will they bill me for the additional 40 hrs to reach the 80 hrs they require? I hope you guys can make sense of my question and I really appreciate all that you do for us future students Thank You.
Corey

Corey,

You would need to check with the admissions department on this as they always have the final say, but if there is instructor and airplane availability, you can generally purchase the extra flight time from ATP before you start your program. You would be starting with credit from private, but you will need to get to 80 hours either through ATP or someplace else.

So think about it for a minute, if you get your private in 50 hours (that is optimistic) and then you have to purchase extra time, are you really saving any money?

Corey,

I don’t know how far along you are but as Chris said in the long run are you really saving anything? You will need to get to the 80hrs one way or another and then of course there’s the transition. While many pilots do get their PPL’s elsewhere most (if not all, myself included) wish we had started Day 1 with ATP. The ATP program is proven and time tested for decades. Not saying you’re not getting solid training now but inevitably there’s always some adjustments to be made and if those can be avoided it’s always a good thing.

Anywho this link will take you to ATP’s Handy Dandy “I’m short on time how much to bring me up to speed” quote page: https://atpflightschool.com/airline-career-pilot-program/private-finish-up.html

Adam

IF you are set on earning your PPL before ATP, and money is your primary concern, I’d recommend continuing the time build to 80 hours by renting through whatever school you’re with. If you’re able to finish your PPL in 50 hours, you’ll save somewhere around $1,800. ATP charges $205 per flight hour for that time build, which is considerably higher (~$60 per hour) than most local plane rental operations.

That $1,800 is a drop in the bucket for the two left seaters in this thread, but for me, it was the difference in being able to attend ATP and not.

Peter,

With all due respect, you have no idea what my (or Chris’ OR Corey’s for that matter) finances are and I resent the implication that we’re frivolous with other people’s money. We both we’re simply making suggestions and recommendations as to how Corey could/should reach his goal. Furthermore ATPs time building INCLUDES dual which means if you already have your PPL you can get a jump on your Instrument training or other skills.

Now if the money is a deal breaker I understand but I don’t think you can argue that 30hrs AT ATP with an ATP instructor in ATP aircraft getting a jump on the program is more beneficial than buzzing around the pattern or going for the proverbial $150 hamburger.

Adam

Yeah, the whole “left seater, drop in the bucket” comment was a joke and wasn’t meant to offend. Certainly not suggesting anything along the lines of you being frivolous with others’ money.

In my post, I intentionally emphasized a scenario in which money is the primary concern for a prospective student. If money isn’t an issue, or even the primary issue, then you’re exactly right - ATP ASAP is the best approach. But that $1,800 difference is colossal for someone whose primary obstacle or concern is finances.

BUT SINCE IM HERE…

Based on Hawaiian’s pay scale, you make $1,800 for about one day’s worth of flights, so I know that much, Cap’n. :wink:

1 Like

Well you’d be wrong Mr SmartyPants! (kinda) I WOULD make about $1,800 for one FULL day worth of flights BUT I’m REALLY lazy and generally only work half days so HA! :wink:

Adam

1 Like

Thank you for your response Chris, I am using a small airport close to my house and the rate is 160 an hour with an instructor 120 without the instructor. I feel that I would be saving at least a couple thousand plus while I am waiting to go to ATP I could get that out of the way. I am 28 now and would like to have a jumpstart towards the airline

Adam thank your for your information I appreciate it I understand what you are saying it’s better to not learn bad habits then to try and correct them after the fact. I am enjoying flying and learning and I guess no matter which way I go the hours will not hurt me in the end even if I have to start ATP from zero even though I have 40 or 50 hours it should just add to my total time and bring me closer to 1500 correct?

Thank you Peter I was looking at the price differences between zero time and private and it was almost 17,000 dollars of a differenc and I thought for sure I could get 80 hours and my private for far less than that, take care.

Corey,

You are correct, the hours are yours to keep and yes you’ll be fine transitioning.

Adam