What If?

So I was wondering what would happen if let’s say I become a CFI with ATP but am terrible at instructing others? What then? Look for jobs requiring low hrs?

What if I cannot complete the standardization course for CFI?

Just a thought maybe others have had?

P.S. I don’t mean to sound negative about myself because I know I will be well in the program but sometimes one can’t help but think of all the things that can happen.

1 Like

Angel,

I actually really appreciate your questions and applaud your concern. There seems to be this perception that the hardest part of flight training is getting the loan and the rest is a given. The reality is not everyone can (or should) be a pilot or an instructor. So let’s get to some answers:

1/2) I put your questions together because they’re interrelated. If you cannot complete the instructor standardization (which if you completed the training successfully shouldn’t be a problem) you will not be an ATP Instructor. The standardization is not just the curriculum but it’s evaluating you as an instructor. Soooo if you complete the standardization chances are you will not be a terrible instructor, right? But back to your concern there are in fact other means to build time. There’s another thread about a program Mesa Airlines is offering which looks interesting as well as other cargo or charter ops. While instructing provides a tremendous amount of experience and is generally one of the fastest methods to build time, it’s definitely not the only one.

Angel I don’t think you’re being negative just realistic and personally I think that’s a really good thing. It’s always good to have your eyes open and be aware of possible issues that can arise. I believe that helps keeps you sharp and more important will help to motivate you to do well. Based on your questions alone I feel confident you’ll do well.

Adam

1 Like

Thank you so much, I actually have been reading the Mesa Airline thread and have also considered it as a backup to instructing. I just don’t want to for some reason finish the program without that CFI certificate given the idea that most of us are expecting to have that tuition reimbursement for the high monthly payments.

Angel,
We are in the exact same boat! The reimbursement is too good to pass up. And for me having the chance to fly for the little airline in my hometown as a pathway to a regional is also very good! Research will be done and decisions will have to be made!

Angel,

I don’t forsee this being an issue for you, but there are plenty of other ways to build time. People tow banners, fly jumpers, traffic watch, go to Alaska to fly bush planes, get a corporate FO gig, fly cargo, etc. Instructing is the primary means, but certainly not the only one.

Chris

And if you fly jumpers at the jump zone near me you’ll get to fly a Caravan like a crazy person! Haha :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

@Chris Thanks! I will surely have this in mind throughout the whole process. @Red Haha Good to know? :grin: