What subjects do I need to know to become a pilot?

Hi , I’m currently 15 and I want to be a pilot
Right now I’m in grade 10 and I don’t know if high school plays an important role in the process of becoming a pilot in the future.

To become a pilot I know that I need to know math, but what other subjects?

Scott,

Really the only role HS will play in your pilot career is you want to do well to help get into a good college. While many people believe they need to be mathematicians or physicists that’s simply not true. All you really need are good basic math and English skills. Math wise if you can add, subtract, multiply and divide you’ll be fine. Many don’t think about the English aspect but good communication is a very important part of the job.

Focus on doing well in HS as your goal. It’s flight school where you’ll learn the skills age knowledge you need to be a pilot.

Adam

Scott,

As Adam said, I would really focus on simply doing well in your current studies and getting into a respectable college. There really are no specific areas of study you can focus on in high school that will be relevant. Just do well and wait to focus on flight training when the time is right. In the meantime, check out our FAQ section as there is tons of good information there to help get you started.

Chris