What's a FCC?

Hey Guys,

I was taking a break from studying my PPL ground school material and decided to look into ExpressJet. I read through the requirements and one of them said “FCC Restricted Radiotelephone Operator Permit.” What is that exactly? I’ve seen them on certain job posting as a requirement, but never heard of it outside of that. Is that something you get while doing your ATP or type rating?

Thanks,
Yuran

I have also seen this and tried to find how to apply for one online but the website seems to be stuck in about 2000 and was very difficult to navigate. I look forward to hearing more about this as well.

1 Like

Yuran,

The FCC Restricted Radio Operator Permit is a piece of paper from the FCC that allows you to talk on the radio in foreign countries. You can get it at anytime, you just go to the FCC website, fill out the form, pay the small fee and it shows up a few weeks later. You don’t have to take a test and never have to renew it. It is an example of wasteful government bureaucracy at its finest.

Chris

3 Likes

Chris,

I thought I had saw it all when it came to aviation requirements, I guess not. When would you suggest I get that?

Yuran

Yuran,

It’s actually a requirement at most Regionals and most will ask for it at your interview in addition to copies of your licenses, medical, passport etc. Just make sure you get one before then.

Adam

Adam,

Sounds good! Thank you for the input, gentlemen! Just a side note, I’m studying for the stage test we have coming up on Friday and I’m stressing out. I have no idea how you guys are “self-taught”… I excel in the classroom setting so it’s going smooth right now (assuming you put in the time to study).

Yuran

Yuran,

We all did a great deal of self-STUDY and self-study is very different than self-taught. No stressing out. When you feel you are use that energy to study.

Adam

Yuran,

It is an aviation requirement as you are required to have it to talk on aviation radios. I would get it at some point while you are instructing, I wouldn’t worry about it now.

Chris

Adam,

I’ll give it to you haha Those two are very different. Will do! I’m prettier hard on myself because my dad was an airline pilot. Flew 747 and DC-10 back in the day so I definitely don’t make any excuses. As always, thank you!

Yuran

Chris,

Thanks for the advice! I was to go get it now, but glad to hear that I can hold off on it!

Yuran