What's after finishing the fast track program?

Hi,

I’m starting my program late Feb and I was wondering if someone doesn’t make the cut and gets a spot as CFI with ATP after graduation, how can he take advantage of any of the perks with airlines cadet and tuition reimbursement programs that ATP is famous for having?

Thanks,
Marwan

2 Likes

Marwan,

Not sure what you’re asking? If you “don’t make the cut” you would not get a CFI position. Please clarify.

Adam

Marwan,

That’s the deal. Only CFIs that instruct for ATP are eligible to take advantage of the Tuition Reimbursement Programs. That’s why you will do everything you can to ensure that you do make the cut. Right? :wink:

Tory

2 Likes

I mean yeah of course, but you gotta plan for everything though, you know. You can do your best and still not get those checkrides or have no spot available, you never know. I just wanna know what other people who couldn’t do it did instead.
You gotta have options.

Hey Adam,

I meant not able to secure a CFI position with ATP after the program due to checkride failures or not being able to find a spot where you want to. I mean after all, I was told that the CFI position is not guaranteed anyway like it used to be.

So would be the alternative options at that point?

Marwan

Marwan,

Assuming that you completed the entire program with all 3 flight instructor certificates in hand, my first thought would be to apply to CFI jobs at other schools. It would also be wise to start networking. If you want options, create them.

Tory

1 Like

Thanks Tory,

Do you think it’s possible to apply to programs like Aviate and such if you’re teaching anywhere else? Or have you at least heard of anyone who did it?

Marwan

Marwan,

As you point out, these are perks of the program and one of the benefits of training with ATP. If you’re not successful in the program, why would you expect the airlines to invest money in you?

While I appreciate your desire to plan for the worst, you’d be much better served thinking failure is not an option and working as hard as possible to make certain you do well. This is not little league where everyone who shows up gets a trophy. The airlines want skilled well trained pilots who will successfully get through newhire training.

Now if you aren’t willing or able to relocate for a position you may be able to enter the Aviate or other programs, but that’s a question for them. But if you’re not offered a position due to your failures I wouldn’t be too optimistic that they’ll accept you into the program.

Adam

1 Like

If you visit United’s website they list their affiliated aviation universities, flight schools and 135 operators. So, you would need to work for one of the schools or companies listed. However, I’m sure each school would be more inclined to hire graduates of their own program just like ATP is. So, I think it’s best to focus more on being successful in ATP’s program.

Tory

1 Like

Oh I’m 100% honed in on this, I just don’t like to be blindsided due to poor planning or lack of knowledge about a certain subject. Part of the reason why I chose ATP was for their branches as well, we’re supposed to be moving to the Fort Lauderdale area and I’m planning to choose locations there. If for some reason there’s no spot, I don’t mind staying here in Jersey till something opens up.

Marwan

2 Likes

Marwan,

You can apply top the cadet programs, such as Aviate, without being an ATP CFI, but you would not be able to participate in the Tuition Reimbursement Programs as those are offered through ATP.

Chris

1 Like

Got it, thanks Chris.

Anytime. As always, let us know how we can help you.

Chris

1 Like

Always appreciate the input, I’m very cautiously excited about starting. It’s obviously a huge step and I always try to look ahead as much as possible. I’m almost done with my 3rd par practice test, waiting for everyone to be back from vacation so I can get the endorsement and book the exam. Would really like to get both the IR and CAX done before I start on Feb 28, but I don’t know if that’s a realistic timeline.

Marwan

Marwan,

I think that is a realistic time frame, you might even be able to get more done.

Chris

I know I can take the FOI with the IR, not sure if using Kings School for IR will get me there in the same time. It took a lot of studying for me to get certain things down in my head, I started Nov 29th

Marwan,
After the PAR, use Sheppard air for the rest of the writtens. I believe you get a discount as an ATP student. Just call them up, ask for the database and follow the instructions you get from the activation email. Then just familiarize yourself with the study protocol and follow it exactly. The IRA database will prepare you for both the IRA and the FII.
-Hannah

1 Like

Thanks Hanna,

Is Sheppard an app I can download? Is it gonna be lessons first or just questions data base?

Marwan

Hi Marwan,

It’s an app based question database with an established process to help you prepare. Follow the process and you should do well. The Kings School modules are great for initial exposure to facilitate an understanding of the content. Personally I did Kings School then Sheppard for the IRA and FII. I also took the IGI, which is not required for ATP, but gets you a ground instructor certification and has basically the same question bank. Subsequent exams such as the CAX, FIA and FOI all have their own Sheppard question bank which you can purchase one at a time with ATP’s discount.

As for your other question about what if I don’t get a job with ATP for whatever reason. I agree with what was said by others. Put in the work and do your best to be prepared for all your lessons and checkrides. Take every advantage to grow your network because you never know what the future might hold. I took a job at another flight school outside of ATP because it worked better for my family situation. It was a DPE who actually offered me this job after my MEI checkride. It doesn’t have the tuition reimbursement advantages, but it pays well and I’m getting a lot of opportunities to instruct. Best of luck!

Thank you so much Syed for your thorough reply, greatly appreciated. It’s also nice to know that there are options to fall back on even if they’re not ideal. As you said, you never know what the future could bring.

Marwan