What's the chances?

Hello all and thank you for your time. I’m thinking of a career in being paid to fly. I’m not wanting the captain of majors position, just captain with a good amount of seniority at a regional airline should be a great career end.
I’m 36 yrs old, wife, 2 kids, the good life. I’m at $70k year and wife works also. I’m a senior hvac service technician at major corporate hvac manufacturer. I don’t dislike what I do but I’ve always wanted to fly since I worked ramp at 18yrs old for a year and half making nothing but loved what I did. Left to work my hvac apprenticeship and the schooling.
When I was a first year apprentice I and my girlfriend lived with a roommate. We had a fight and I got extremely upset and the police were called out. The guy I was renting the room from was growing a pot plant. I won’t say he didn’t tell me or I didn’t smoke with him when we first moved in. Long story short they found his plant in the basement and he played the isn’t mine card and they charged us both with felony marijuana charge. Mine got dismissed and refiled into a misdemeanor marijuana charge which I took because I knew what was going on. That was 17 yrs ago and I haven’t had even a brush with the police or speeding ticket.
Question is do I stand a chance at spending the 70k I have from the sell of our house to get a associate’s in aviation with a community college that will take me to 500 hrs, multi. and CFII OR is the drug charge and and conviction going to make it so I have no chance and I need to stay where i’m at? Where could I go to find out if I’d pass the background checks and FAA medical? I really don’t want to lose an investment because I didn’t do the research.
Thanks,
Ross

Ross,

If it was 17 years ago and there’s nothing else you should be fine. The first step would be to find an AME and get a First Class medical. They will be the first obstacle and you’ll have to disclose all to them. Provided you can obtain the medical then I would simply reach out to some Regionals recruiters and simply ask. Again if this is your only offense and it was that long ago you should be fine.

Btw, you can leave out the some of the details when you ask and I’ve edited them out as this is a family friendly forum.

Adam

Ross,

As Adam said, your first step is to see if your are able to obtain a first class medical certificate. After that, I would contact the recruiting departments at several regional airlines and ask them. You do not need to share all of the details, just that you have a conviction from 17 years ago.

Chris

Thanks for the reply guys! Is there anything I should bring with me to the medical, so I am prepared when I disclose. I sure don’t want anything to do with being dishonest about the conviction. I’ve owned up to my part for many years now. I refuse to let that be who I am. I’ve overcome the obstacles it took to gain access to the jails, prisons, and sheriffs offices for work. Everyone of them I gained access to asked me questions about the circumstances surrounding the conviction but never denied me access yet.(knock on wood) Should I get copies of my background or anything related to that? How would I go about emailing or calling a few recruiters? I can’t seem to find much on contacting them other than applying for positions open. Thanks again!

Ross,

Before you actually take the exam you need to complete the application online at MedXpress (https://medxpress.faa.gov/medxpress/). Question 18V deals with drug or alcohol convictions and that’s where you need to provide the information. I don’t think it could hurt to bring any record of your conviction with you but the FAA will probably ask for that later. In all likelihood your medical will be deferred so the FAA can do their research.

If you do enough Googling most airlines have recruiter contact info or you can look for a recruiting event in your area and speak in person.

Adam

Ross,

I wouldn’t worry about bringing too much to the exam, the FAA will tell you exactly what they want and they will likely request certified copies. Just go and be honest, you will find out one way or the other.

Almost every regional airline has a number listed for a recruiting department or even just call their main number. It might take some digging, but the info is out there.

Chris

I completed the medexpress online application about a week ago. I’ve got the appointment setup for May 15th for 1st class medical. As you folks have stated it’s the first step. I contacted 7 different regional airlines and 2 have got back to me so far and have said that a misdemeanor drug charge from that long ago will not affect the outcome. Waiting to hear from others. Would I be incorrect in stating that if the FAA reviews and passes my medical that I shouldn’t have an issue with getting TSA clearance or is that a whole other hurdle? Where could I find out about a TSA background check once I’ve finished medical hurdle?

Ross,

I am really not an expert on this, but I don’t think that you will have an issue with the background checks as long as you properly report everything. But I am really not sure.

The big caveat to all of this is that just because the regionals hire you, doesn’t mean that the majors will. The threshold to get hired at a major airline is significantly than that to get hired at a regional.

Chris

I’m ok with a career at a regional level and that be all I do. Id be ok with only making what I do now in the end. It’s really not about the money or flying the biggest bus on the block. I just love to fly and all the feelings that come with. Getting paid is just a bonus. I started hvac for the same reason. I love everyday going out there seeing new people and places,
troubleshooting equipment other techs couldn’t figure out, working for the factory. My wife says she’d be happy with a tiny house and moving around being poor again. Sometimes having more is too much IMHO. She finished with batchelor degree and told me to chase my dreams. I’m not asking much, just a chance. :grinning:

Can someone tell me if the $83k includes all the rentals, fuel, fees, etc.?
https://catalog.tvcc.cc/current/payment/aviation_fees-airplane-oregon.cfm

Ross,

We’re not familiar with TVCC (I’ve actually never heard of them?) but if you have questions I recommend you contact them directly.

If you look up you’ll see this is ATPs forum and all the mentors here are successful grads and former instructors. ATP has been successfully training pilots for the airlines for over 30yrs and has placed over 600 pilots at the airlines in the last 12 mos alone. Not dissing TVCC but they have 3 training aircraft and the last Dutchess was built in 1983. With 365 airplanes ATP has the largest training fleet in the country. I encourage you to take a look.

Adam

Hi all,
I wanted to come back and say thank you for all the advice everyone has given. In August of 2019 the FAA issued me a first class medical with almost no questions asked. I did find a great AME and explained my situation which then he helped immensely on doing the correct steps. They had me write a personal letter that we submitted to the FAA with my medical for approval. I enrolled in a program and completed solo at 12.5 hrs. I’m just a couple of hours away from checkride on a couple weeks. You guys were 110% right that it is very hard work. One must give up a lot to be successful in aviation. One thing I’ve noticed in my time at flight school is that there’s not many people who walk in the door informed about medical and if it’s something they can really do. I’m really glad I reached out to you guys and informed myself of the proper channels to take. There really should be more of you out there that are willing to inform those people that don’t yet know. Once again THANK YOU!!!

1 Like

Ross,

Thank you for the update, I am glad things are going well for you.

Chris